Discuss Electrical sigh off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sgrech

Obviously the title should read Electricity sign off - unfortunately I can't edit it!

This is first post so please be gentle and sympathetic to my cause.

Basically I am currently having an en-suite build & fitted. In addition we are also having some fairly minor internal modifications carried out in the lounge / hallway.

In the process of this work which is not yet complete a number of existing plug sockets and light switches have been moved. In addition a few new sockets / switches have been added.
I understand though that no new circuits have had to be added.
I have now realised that the builder is not part p -certified (didn't really understand what this was until recently) so he wont be able to sign off his own work. I asked him the other day whether I would get some sort of certification for the electrical work carried out and he said he would get his friend in who will test that everything is working as it should.

Is this testing of the circuits sockets and switches acceptable or must I insist on some formal sign off?

Building control apparently said that this work does not require buliding regs? My builder allegedly contacted them on my behalf - however it has been proven recently on a couple of occasions that he has lied to us or at least hidden things from us, which is rather disconcerting and is starting to progressively worry me. In fact I am thinking of firing this tradesman before he completes the job.

Should I look to have a PIR done one this work is completed?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated as I rather stressed out about this work right now.

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, if you don' trust the guy then I think you've answered your own question really. Builders should not do their own electrics unless they are competent to do so, and part of this always includes testing and issuing certs. Even if the job turns out to be non-notifiable as far as building control goes, you should still get certs at the end of the job. You really shouldn't need to have an EICR (new name for PIR) done for this, but how far has this turnip got with the electrical side of the job?

suggest you get the builder to bring his spark friend along and you discuss with the spark how to progress. it may be that the spark is prepared to complete the works and put his name to the certificate. work done in the en-suite is notfiable under part p, even if other work is not.

Hmmm, if you don' trust the guy then I think you've answered your own question really. Builders should not do their own electrics unless they are competent to do so, and part of this always includes testing and issuing certs. Even if the job turns out to be non-notifiable as far as building control goes, you should still get certs at the end of the job. You really shouldn't need to have an EICR (new name for PIR) done for this, but how far has this turnip got with the electrical side of the job?

Thanks for your reply.

No to be honest this bloke has now lost my trust.

He has practically now finished the electrics.

So that i know what I am talking about - exactly what certificate should i be requesting / be given?

Thanks again.

suggest you get the builder to bring his spark friend along and you discuss with the spark how to progress. it may be that the spark is prepared to complete the works and put his name to the certificate. work done in the en-suite is notfiable under part p, even if other work is not.

Not sure he would warm to that idea very much.
So I definitely need part p certification for electrics done in relation to the ensuite - so a certification must be issued?

Simon

yes. you need an EIC (electrical installation certificate). if no new circuits have been installed a MEWIC (minor electrical works installation certificate) might be sufficient. what's your location. a member or 2 must be in your vicinity, could pop in and have a look.

If no new circuits have been added then you need a minor works certifcate, if a new circuit has been introduced then you require an electrical installation certificate. Also if any electrical work has been carried out in the en suite then building control need notifying, either directly or via a part p scheme provider. Once this is done you will recieve either a certifcate or letter of compliance of part p.

If more than 3 circuits have been worked on you should really receive an eicr for the circuits that have been worked on only not numerous minor works certs.
Clarification please. The regs are quite clear, any new circuit requires an Electrical Installation Certificate together with Schedule of Inspections and Schedule of Test Results. An extension or addition to an existing circuit will require a Minor Works Certificate, as Tel says above the work in the en suite is notifiable (unless it's like for like replacements).
Any existing circuits being added to or extended must be brought up to compliance with current regs.
If I were you OP I'd be inviting the builder and his "electrician friend" in for a chat before any more work is done.

Regarding certification. For example trev If you worked on 5 circuits in one propertyno new circuits added you wouldn't issue 5 minor works certs you would issue 1 eicr for them5 circuits. well I would as I wouldn't even consider 5 minor works. I don't really think it matters either way.

Reply to Electrical sigh off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net