Discuss Electrical substation located near the house - advice needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

PaulAA

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a problem and hoping to get some advice.

There is an ongoing development on the back of my house.
The Developer built an electrical substation house literally 1m behind my fence - in a straight line with my windows. The total distance between the substation & my house is 14m.
Developer raised the ground floor level underneath the substation for approx. 2m & on the top of it positioned almost 3m high & 4m wide substation GRP house, creating around 5m high & 4m wide monstrosity (please see the attached pictures).
This has obviously got a huge impact on the value of my house, the standard of life & the esthetic of the surroundings.

First of all, the substation hasn't been built in the location as per the approved electrical drawing & planning permission (due to this mistake it now landed literally in a straight line with my windows).
There are various mistakes with the project e.g. the min. required distance between substation & adjacent dwelling is 12m. in this instance, it is 14m between my house & substation but only:
  • 5.5m from apartment building which developer is building on site - as wrongly designed & approved
  • approx. 9m in reality, as built - between the apartment building which developer is building on site.

Council accepted the raised ground floor level up to 1.2m - Developer raised it for around 2m. They are saying it's due to the flood level.
This development requires 2 substations. One positioned in front of my windows - 2m above the original ground floor level. For the second one, the ground floor level wasn't raised almost at all. (?!? in the same flood zone?!?)

Substation location & positioning it on such a high level has got a huge impact on the value of my house. I have paid the whole market value, where now the property value dropped dramatically.
Developer is ignoring me, not responding on my emails since February. Local City Council, Planning Department is not responding on my valid points either, saying instead that 'all is fine'.

Would you have any advice what I could do in this situation?
Much appreciated,
Paul

Attachments

• SUB_2.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 53
  • SUB_6.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 53
  • SUB_7.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 49
  • SUB_10.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 49
You'll want to get professional legal advice but my gut is telling me you won't get anywhere. Objections should have been raised as soon as you realised that they were deviating from plans.

Get a lawyer and hope for some good luck

Unfortunately you don't have any right to a view. I agree it's ugly though. I'd be approaching them to see if they could put some sort of screening planting in.

Reply to Electrical substation located near the house - advice needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net