• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Electrical Test Certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have recently carried out a rewire on a one bedroom house and installed a new DB. As I am not part of a CPS I cannot complete an EIC for the install so was going to get someone who I know to do this for me. The property owner now has a cash buyer to but the house and is looking to get it tested ASAP but my friend is busy for the next month on a job and hasn’t got the time to do it.
As the certificate is to confirm the wiring and installation is in a safe and satisfactory condition would it be acceptable for me to complete an EICR which would cover the whole installation as a workaround? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

nothing to stop you from completing an EIC. just the notification will need to be done by your colleague ( if he's willing to do that).
Thanks Tel,

I can ask him but not sure whether he would prefer to do the testing himself if he’s signing it off. And I think he usually does it electronically using some software so would mean him transferring the info I give him across. I will ask the question but if he’s not keen would my suggestion of just completing the EICR myself be ok? As doing that would mean the testing is not notifiable if I’m correct.

Cheers

I'm not in England, but there is absolutely no way that failing to carry out initial verification but instead using a periodic inspection would alter the fact that notifiable work is indeed notifiable.

As said, you can issue an Electrical Installation Certificate (in fact, it is a requirement of BS7671:2018 that you do so).

I don't believe that any scheme allows their members to carry out initial verification after the fact, having not been present to inspect during erection of the installation. Even those which offer 3rd Party Verification do not allow the scheme to be operated in this manner.

If you were doing the rewire on behalf of your friend (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), then technically he is your QS and can then sign off your work and notify the job, that’s if he trusts you and knows you always do a good job and follow the regs.

And of course, all of the test results that you will enter on the certificate will have been carried out on a calibrated set of test equipment?:anguished:

I have no sympathy. Most of use do it properly, pay to members of CPS and have the relavent insurances.
You've dug a hole and now you are going to have to find a way of climbing out. Probably (hopefully) at some expense to you.

And of course, all of the test results that you will enter on the certificate will have been carried out on a calibrated set of test equipment?:anguished:

I have no sympathy. Most of use do it properly, pay to members of CPS and have the relavent insurances.
You've dug a hole and now you are going to have to find a way of climbing out. Probably (hopefully) at some expense to you.
Thanks for your most useful reply lol. Yes I have all of my own calibrated test equipment thanks.
If I was doing my own work all the time I would consider joining a CPS but as I work as a project manager for an engineering company now it really isn’t worth me doing.
I have photos of the install at all stages to show that the work has been carried out correctly and in accordance with the regs.
Not an issue to wait for my friend to come along and test and complete the certificate if that’s what he wants to do, was just looking to possibly sign off quicker for the homeowner.
No hole to dig out of but appreciate your concern

You should complete an EIC as this a requirement of the wiring regulations. An EICR is not relevant at all.
If your friend is to notify the job and wants to test the installation they can do, and they will have a handy EIC full of results to check against.
As said though, a proper third party notification requires your friend to be registered for such a service and to have designed the job and inspected at first fix stage.

You should complete an EIC as this a requirement of the wiring regulations. An EICR is not relevant at all.
If your friend is to notify the job and wants to test the installation they can do, and they will have a handy EIC full of results to check against.
As said though, a proper third party notification requires your friend to be registered for such a service and to have designed the job and inspected at first fix stage.
Thanks for your reply Andy,

He is registered with NAPIT so all good there and as it is only a one bed house with 2 rings, 2 lighting circuits, a boiler circuit and cooker they have all been installed as standard circuits. I have photos of all the cable runs at first fix and they are all run in oval conduit in the walls and in safe zones.

Cheers

He is registered with NAPIT so all good there
Me too. But he, like me, are only permitted to notify work that they designed, installed and tested themselves. So not all good.
Good luck to him/her if they are prepared to go against the terms of their membership.

Thanks for your reply Andy,

He is registered with NAPIT so all good there and as it is only a one bed house with 2 rings, 2 lighting circuits, a boiler circuit and cooker they have all been installed as standard circuits. I have photos of all the cable runs at first fix and they are all run in oval conduit in the walls and in safe zones.

Cheers

Being a member of Napit does not automatically mean he can do third party notification. Third party registration is usually extra to standard CPS membership.

Me too. But he, like me, are only permitted to notify work that they designed, installed and tested themselves. So not all good.
Good luck to him/her if they are prepared to go against the terms of their membership.
I understood that Napit allowed 3rd party notification, according to a colleague who is registered with them?
Edit: didnt see Andy78 reply

Reply to Electrical Test Certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back