Discuss Electrical test certs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Cj24

I have done a job and have passed my 2391 yet I'm not with a governing body such as nic but I have been told I am ok to sign jobs off, is this true? Where can I get test certificates from?? Can I get them from a wholesaler? And where do I send a copy of the certs to? Do i keep one for my records then 1 to the customer then 1 to council or building inspector? Bit of a grey area to me

This is something that you should know from your 2391 course, what paperwork is required when installing a circuit.
If you are then introducing the requirements of Part P of the building regulations then this is a different matter and you would need to be familiar with the Electricians Guide to the Building regulations and Part P of the building Regulations.

You would need to know this information before starting a job.

There's test certs and schedules in 7671 mate. Do a little digging on what's notifiable and what isn't. That and what's needed for scam membership etc has been done to death on here

In short, for testing you don't need to be registered however you will require insurance and all that other nice legal stuff. Problem arises when you need to rectify a C1 that could turn into notifiable work, then you need to go through the hassle of informing LABC and getting the work inspected etc...

As Trev has said, loads of threads on here about the scams.

Yeah I know what certs are required but what I am asking is can I get blank certs from wholesaler n who do I send to and am I ok doing this because on my 2391 course they sed u need a governing body yet iv been told diff since

You can Download them for free from the IET site:

Look under the Tab model forms (bottom right).

Home - IET Electrical

It was a full wire on a new house, the part p is a grey area to me because told diff things, part p is to say ya competent but if I am a qualified electrician and have 2391 that proves I'm competent

You can get blanks from the whole-seller but these are expensive after a while!
There are certs on here that can be downloaded and printed off for free - if you cant find them Im sure someone will post the link soon

Any notifiable jobs you must be registered or pay LABC to come and inspect the job - membership is cheaper if your doing a few every year

If your doing commercial or Industrial then no membership is required as Part P does not apply.

You keep 1 copy, 1 goes to Home owner (person ordering the work) and 1 goes to the occupant (if not home owner)
Nothing goes to LABC - only the notification

For testing nothing is required - insurance (PI&PL) is a must to cover your back - 2391 is an advantage

Membership is a good thing as getting LABC in does not look professional at all

I just did my 2391 and they tell you nothing at all about certs, aprat from how to fill them in - the colleges feel that notifying is the problem for the scam providers to inform you about - The colleges that are delivering these courses are a JOKE! they are delivering these courses in half the recommended learning time, once the time to go home comes or outside of the lesson they cant be bothered to help

It was a full wire on a new house, the part p is a grey area to me because told diff things, part p is to say ya competent but if I am a qualified electrician and have 2391 that proves I'm competent

full rewire is notifiable!
This must be either signed off to LABC ad pay them to inspect it or join a scam and get them to notify it

The membership is only there to notify jobs that fall under pat P - nothing more!
They dont check that you are competent or anything - they just give the impression you are!

A full list on notifiable jobs can be found Building Regulations - Part P FAQs - IET Electrical

The best thing you can do is team up with another spark and get them to show you the ropes with paperwork and get the hang of it that way - Im sure a few on here will be more than happy to help - be warned there are a few on here who just likes to have a good moan about anything and everything!

Also put your location on your profile as well as it will help if you need advice with anything

if I am a qualified electrician and have 2391 that proves I'm competent
Unfortunately, in the eyes of the government, the scams and building control this is not the case mate. There's guys on here who are incredibly skilled sparks and who work with enormous voltages and with equipment that I wouldn't even think about and apparently they can't be trusted to run in a new RFC at home.
Stupid? incredibly but what can you do?

Unfortunately, in the eyes of the government, the scams and building control this is not the case mate. There's guys on here who are incredibly skilled sparks and who work with enormous voltages and with equipment that I wouldn't even think about and apparently they can't be trusted to run in a new RFC at home.
Stupid? incredibly but what can you do?

Exactly Trev,

So if I don't pay my 400 and odd quid this year does this make me suddenly incompetent ? (some may say Iam already incompetent, lol :90:).

Well if you are then I am too because I refuse to join on principle. My work is mostly commercial with the odd bit of like for like changes thrown in. Obviously commercial electricity is less dangerous than domestic stuff

If all sparks or sparks firms would make a stand and join together, and rebell against all these kinda association's (nic and the likes ect) and refuse to use them. Surely all/us sparks would benefit more, as we are competent, so they say when we pass the relevant courses, and we dont need to pay an association lots of money to tell us this every year

I am often amused by peeps coming in the shop asking for 'Low Voltage' lighting ..yes i can come and fit 600V down lighters if you wish lol

But its a dog eat dog world out there and all sparks and firms could not reunite and rebell against these associations nic ect we should be calling the shots and they should be paying us not the other way around

I was seriously considering not renewing this year, as I don't do that much domestic at the best of times, lucky, or unlucky depending on your point of view if I do a dozen or so a year, and this year has been crap until the last two months, but I have a couple notifiable of jobs lined up in the next month or so, and so I have renewed (was due in June).

I only keep it going to keep all options open, and in between other jobs (mostly commercial/industrial), and with the way things are going I may need to rely more on that side of things far more this year.

Up to now I have not relied on the domestic side to earn a living, and as long as it broke even or better I was prepared to keep it going. Iam now on my third year and Iam just glad that I did not believe the hype of 50 grand a year lol, or I would have been right in the poo by now.

I truly feel sorry for anyone attempting to start now, and buying into the dream that the training agents peddle.

50 k my --- (in the words of jim royal) all these firms putting in tenders for work and the prices are so low they get it!
And then they employ idiots to carry out the works on a price(usually a very low price),then these idiots then carry out the works cutting corners as there incompetent and unqualified and usually not up to the correct standards needed for the job, how do thes firms get away with this time and time again! And usually ther also nic eic associated, so were is the nic eic ect? And why do they get away with the poor standard of works done, is the nic eic, ect. Really that nieve to what is going on out there? And what if we join them what are we paying for?? If this is allowed by these scam schemes to turn a blind eye as they,ve took are membership fee, dick turpin at least put on a mask!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggh lol

I have done a job and have passed my 2391 yet I'm not with a governing body such as nic but I have been told I am ok to sign jobs off, is this true? Where can I get test certificates from?? Can I get them from a wholesaler? And where do I send a copy of the certs to? Do i keep one for my records then 1 to the customer then 1 to council or building inspector? Bit of a grey area to me
There are two types of signing off.
One is to sign a Certificate stating the work complies with BS7671.
The other is to sign off a Building Regulations compliance Certificate.
Anyone carrying out electrical work, should issue a Certificate stating that the work complies with BS7671, irrespective of what qualifications, or wherther they are in a scheme.
Only persons registered with a Competent Persons Scheme can issue a Building Regulations compliance Certificate.

A housholder has to notify certain electrical work.
They can do this, by pre-notifing the work (at least 48 hours before the work comences), pay quite a substancial fee, and have the work inspected by a Building Control Officer.
The second method is to employ an electrician who is registered with a Competent Persons Scheme. The electrician will carry out the work, issue an EIC/MEWIC, register the job with their scheme, and the scheme will notify the Local Authority Building Control.
The third method is to make a retrospective notification, after the work has been carried out.
Different LABCs deal with this in various ways. Most will charge a higher fee than if the work was pre-notified, some will accept an EIC/MEWIC, whilst many will want an EICR conducted, in some cases by an inspector they nominate. This will often incur a further charge, on top of the notification fee.

Money money money??????????? Sick of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets all unite and rebell against the current system in use, what could they do?????????? Were could they turn to?????????????? Unite unite unite! Solidarity! We should call the shots! Not others! But back to dog eat dog world we live in unfortunately so annoying !!!!!!!! If only this would happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We then would call the shots. Power to the sparks lol

Reply to Electrical test certs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock