Discuss Electrical Testing 2391/2392 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jjrules2

Hi, I am a fully qualified electrician whose company also paid for me to get my 2392 qualification. I am looking into enrolling, when I have enough money as my company can't pay for this one, for the 2391.

I'm thinking of leaving my company as they don't have enough testing jobs and this is really what I want to be doing. If I left, how could I certify domestic homes? Can I do it with only the 2392? Where can I register and how much is it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I can certify these, does it restrict me to just 230v? Not 3 phase?

for testing, you have to be competent ( note the spelling, glenn!!!). 2391 is just proof that you have the qualification. you could have 2391 and still be rubbish. it's actally 2395 now.

As mentioned you dont need any course to be 'competent' to test and certify peoples homes --- you just need knowledge of the testing process, experience of the installation to be tested and the ability to interpret the results of the testing!

What the course does for you is adds further weight behind your existing competency -- it doesnt qualify to test!. Also, on some commercial/industrial jobs there can be stipulations from the likes of insurance companys that you need to hold formal testing quals (e.g. what was the old 2391).

Ultimately you decide for yourself if you are competent to test but having the course behind you (2391 or 2394/5) wont do you any harm ....

As mentioned you dont need any course to be 'competent' to test and certify peoples homes --- you just need knowledge of the testing process, experience of the installation to be tested and the ability to interpret the results of the testing!

What the course does for you is adds further weight behind your existing competency -- it doesnt qualify to test!. Also, on some commercial/industrial jobs there can be stipulations from the likes of insurance companys that you need to hold formal testing quals (e.g. what was the old 2391).

Ultimately you decide for yourself if you are competent to test but having the course behind you (2391 or 2394/5) wont do you any harm ....

Thanks for your replies so far.

So if I wanted to issue the home owner with a certificate, how do I do this?

fill in whichever cert. is appropriate for the work you have done. sssimplesss.

You may also need to be registered with a scam, if you do any work that is notifiable. Depending on who you choose, it ranges from £250 to £600 ish per year. But if you only intend to do EICR's, then as others have said, you don't need any qual. But not being registered may limit you. You might not be able to do all the remedial works that you pick up on when doing the EICR's.

Jay

Hi, I am a fully qualified electrician whose company also paid for me to get my 2392 qualification. I am looking into enrolling, when I have enough money as my company can't pay for this one, for the 2391.

I'm thinking of leaving my company as they don't have enough testing jobs and this is really what I want to be doing. If I left, how could I certify domestic homes? Can I do it with only the 2392? Where can I register and how much is it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I can certify these, does it restrict me to just 230v? Not 3 phase?

What part of the country are you in?

To self certify your work you either have to be a member of a scheme (SCAM) and pay them large fee for a annual assessment and registration then for each notifiable job you carry out notify through your scam pay another small notification fee Issue a EIC for the work to customer / retain a copy, Have 2 million PLI, Calibrated test equipment, relavent literature such as BS7671, memorandum of guidance on elecy at work regs etc etc. work to show your assessor for works you have carried out over the last 12 months
Then your scam will notify LABC of works who will issue building completion cert for the works

or alternatively notify your LABC beforehand cary out work issue EIC to customer copy to LABC who will then decide if further action such as sending a 3rd party to carry out I&T, retaiin a copy of EIC for yourself PAY LABC a scam fee of ( in my area £190 per notifiable works ) then when they satisfied issue customer with a building completion cert

or if works are part of larger building project the customer or builder should notify the works as part of the larger project and you jsut issue them and customer with original and copies

either way your scammed for dollar

as regards EICRs you dont need to be a member of a scheme just competent to do so 2391 or 2394/95 will help prove your competence 2392 is for initial verification of single pahse properties 2391 is for initial and existing installations whether doemstic, comercial or industrial
2394 is initial verification of domestic, commercial, industrial and 2395 is for periodoc inspections of existing installs I believe

So if I wanted to issue the home owner with a certificate, how do I do this?

In addition to the other replies, if you are testing and inspecting an existing installation, and completing an EICR - this is a Report (on the condition of the installation) rather than a Certificate.

Reply to Electrical Testing 2391/2392 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net