Discuss electrical wiring help - thanks :) FINISHED in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electri

OK guys, im happy to say I did it last night,

here is a picture of the original: SORRY I then realized that would have been a good idea, its funny because everyone on here seems to jump and bite when I clearly said in the beguining I have no proper knowledge or terminology I specialize in finance not electrics but I like to do my own person DIY and mechanics which I find is simple if following guides....

anyway here is the pic of the wiring before:

20121219_153910.jpg

and after watching about 2 hours of YOUTUBE and a further few forums here is the end result :D

20121220_115603.jpg

end product :)

20121220_124329.jpg

thanks for a few peoples input on here I understood it, finding out the live took some time but all done eventually, as long as you use common sense and respect safety and have a passion for doing your own DIY then it seems to nicely work out plus it helped me understand a lot about my other lights :) - was simple though not as special as some people made...

not at all if you read the post in the beginning Im thanking the people who actually had an input I appreciate it, as apause to the others like yourself who despite reading the apology for the noobnes thought were clever and would write unrelated **** like you just have again ;)

Good lad !! ;)

But try to understand this from my perspective: I don't know you and don't know your ability to understand and follow instructions correctly. It is possible that no matter how clearly and carefully I tell you what to do, there's still that chance that you can misunderstand or make a mistake that I had not even considered.

From the picture you showed last night, I saw what I thought was the way it should be done and replied accordingly, only to realise very soon after that there is another way it could be wired which is incompatible with the way I had posted, and that's why I deleted my post.

You have the idea that it's only a light and you won't get hurt, but the reality is 50 volts can kill you under the "right" (wrong for you!) conditions and you have 230 volts at that light. Had you been hurt - or worse - by following what I was advising, that would have left me in a bad situation - and your family too. The other lads here obviously felt the same way. THAT is the reason - the ONLY reason - why offers of help were in short supply !!

Anyway, you've managed to complete the job - well done - Have a Merry Christmas and a happy and SAFE New Year !!

not at all if you read the post in the beginning Im thanking the people who actually had an input I appreciate it, as apause to the others like yourself who despite reading the apology for the noobnes thought were clever and would write unrelated **** like you just have again ;)

You still don't understand.

There is more than one way of doing lights - how can you expect experienced electricians to advise you on how to do something correctly without seeing it for themselfs?

aye your right mate I totaly understand but providing that I switch the main leccy off and test it then what I was focusing was on the having it wired the right way then switching the mains back on and testing but I totaly understand the risks involved and I understand why some people were like that but I wouldnt of been able to do it without the help here, I think my electric work will stop here though I always have a passion for doing basics DIY myself,

many thanks again if I need further help will drop you a PM if ur local and thats ok?

all the best, Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!

O

aye your right mate I totaly understand but providing that I switch the main leccy off and test it then what I was focusing was on the having it wired the right way then switching the mains back on and testing but I totaly understand the risks involved and I understand why some people were like that but I wouldnt of been able to do it without the help here, I think my electric work will stop here though I always have a passion for doing basics DIY myself,

many thanks again if I need further help will drop you a PM if ur local and thats ok?

all the best, Merry Christmas and a happy new year!!

O

Thank you:)

By all means get in touch .... I have no problem about helping folk - as long as I am sure that it's safe. :)

@ electri... if you had of posted that pic of how it was before, it would have been so much easier to advise correctly. by rights, that black that connects to the light brown should be sleeved with red so you know it's a switched L. still, we all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said, climbing off the lavatory brush. :13:

@ electri... if you had of posted that pic of how it was before, it would have been so much easier to advise correctly. by rights, that black that connects to the light brown should be sleeved with red so you know it's a switched L. still, we all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said, climbing off the lavatory brush. :13:

haha yeah to be honest I dont know why I didnt post the original pic I realized after it would make more sense but happy I got there in the end

well, next time you'll know better. education is a wonderful thing. wish i'd had some. (only joking. the school i went to was so good, it was approved. ).

Now all you need to do is shorten that cable. If someone sits in that chair they will eventually go blind and have no hair left lol! :)

Now all you need to do is shorten that cable. If someone sits in that chair they will eventually go blind and have no hair left lol! :)

Haha, d'ya know that was my first thought - im 6ft3, and i reckon if i was eating at that table, everytime i went to pick my food off the plate i'd headbutt the light.

...But, because the OP thought id already been to sarcy, i decided against it.

OK guys, im happy to say I did it last night,

here is a picture of the original: SORRY I then realized that would have been a good idea, its funny because everyone on here seems to jump and bite when I clearly said in the beguining I have no proper knowledge or terminology I specialize in finance not electrics but I like to do my own person DIY and mechanics which I find is simple if following guides....

anyway here is the pic of the wiring before:

20121219_153910.jpg

and after watching about 2 hours of YOUTUBE and a further few forums here is the end result :D

20121220_115603.jpg

end product :)

20121220_124329.jpg

thanks for a few peoples input on here I understood it, finding out the live took some time but all done eventually, as long as you use common sense and respect safety and have a passion for doing your own DIY then it seems to nicely work out plus it helped me understand a lot about my other lights :) - was simple though not as special as some people made...
your welcome...
call in again ...sometime...

Reply to electrical wiring help - thanks :) FINISHED in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net