Discuss electrical wiring help - thanks :) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electri

sorry for the noobness!

please look at pic below:

20121219_165758.jpg

basically we bought a new chandelier type of light and cant see where I am going wrong, I've got it to light up just it doesnt work with the switch to turn it off,

any help highly appreciated, sorry if its a nooob question just want to do it myself

the earth wire was plugged in BTW

thanks
O

Two reds should be together and one of the blacks is the switch line (live)

You will need to find which one is the switch by using a continuity tester

- - - Updated - - -

If your not sure
Call a sparks !

im not aware of a continuity tester is there anyway I can make this work without one?

- - - Updated - - -

i know mate just want to get it done myself and learn how to :)

so if I put the two top reds together, what will I need to change next? many thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is the classic switch wire and neutral being joined together lmao

i know mate its noob any chance you could help me :(

the 2 reds go together and the 2 blacks connect across the the chandalier, trouble is you need to know which one of the blacks is live, especially if edison lamps are used, ouch

One of those reds will be permanently live, the other one should be joined to it. The black that belongs with the red that isn't permanently live comes from the switch with the switched live, the other black is your neutral. Be Aware though that if you touch something that you shouldn't it could easily kill you, that's right you could be dead in time for Christmas. Get someone in to do it for you please

ok so at the top: two reds go together, followed by the earth being in the second slot, and then followed by the blacks being put in the last two slots separatley,

underneath, my red/brown goes to the first slot in the left, followed by earth, followed by my blue wire???

ive had the light swich on when turning the mains on, but the switch doesnt work so I cant switch off

many thanks mate

no, the 2 reds join together and not to the light, the light connects across the 2 blacks, but again you will need to know which is live. then again there is a possibility that is 2 switch wires and 2 neutrals and there is another light in the room which switches with it, if so call a spark to ensure safety, a 2 min job for a spark.

One of those reds will be permanently live, the other one should be joined to it. The black that belongs with the red that isn't permanently live comes from the switch with the switched live, the other black is your neutral. Be Aware though that if you touch something that you shouldn't it could easily kill you, that's right you could be dead in time for Christmas. Get someone in to do it for you please

ok mate I get it but im turning the mains off and testing the wires for electricity before touching them many thanks for the heads up, however what Im trying to figure out is where ive gone wrong in terms of putting the wires in, I can get it to light up when turning the mains on just cant get it to switch off via the wall switch

many thanks

no, the 2 reds join together and not to the light, the light connects across the 2 blacks, but again you will need to know which is live.

ok so on the left i will have the first slot with the two reds going into one right?

this leaves me with the blacks./???

this doesn't look like a switched L being in the N, or else the MCB would trip when the switch was made. honestly, for what it will cost, get a sparks in.

edit: which newcastle are you at? there's staffordshire newcastle, south wales newcastle, and if i remenber correctly, there's another one somewhere in the frozen land of the picts.

no, the 2 reds join together and not to the light, the light connects across the 2 blacks, but again you will need to know which is live. then again there is a possibility that is 2 switch wires and 2 neutrals and there is another light in the room which switches with it, if so call a spark to ensure safety, a 2 min job for a spark.

see all of my above post

this doesn't look like a switched L being in the N, or else the MCB would trip when the switch was made. honestly, for what it will cost, get a sparks in.

edit: which newcastle are you at? there's staffordshire newcastle, south wales newcastle, and if i remenber correctly, there's another one somewhere in the frozen land of the picts.

the one and only newcastle which is in the tyne and wear, first time Ive been asked this question :/ - dont u wantch football?

ok mate I cant understand it still sorry,

would you be able to tell me in this format, this is how it is at the moment from the pic:

[R] [R] [E] [BB]
[E] [EMPTY ]

how should it be?

really appreciate it sorry again for the nooobness

Talk about brassneck.

Would you expect your local garage to tell you how to repair you're car?

ok mate I undertand you dont want to sell your trade and would rather have me phone someone BUT i want to do it for myself so when im in my new flat that Ive bought i can do it myself thats all noting complicated ...

Ive said all I can TBH, there is 2 wiring possibilities, either 2 feeds and a switch wire and neutral (both black) or 2 switchwires (red) and 2 neutrals (black) I cannot say anymore really, you need to get a spark in, sorry but it's too risky to confirm which of the 2 methods you have there.

It's not complicated but you don't have a clue?

ffs, get someone in before you kill yourself!

ok mate I undertand you dont want to sell your trade and would rather have me phone someone BUT i want to do it for myself so when im in my new flat that Ive bought i can do it myself thats all noting complicated ...

Reply to electrical wiring help - thanks :) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net