• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss ELECTRICAL WORK EXPERIENCE NEEDED in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am doing an electrical course to provide me with a level 3 award. It's ok doing classroom work but I need site experience and wondered if anyone wants an electrician's labourer or is willing to give me some work experience. At this stage the work experience is more important than any salary. I am fit, hard working and energetic. I also need to work for someone to get my ECS card. I am very reliable, not to mention sociable and flexible. Would be so grateful if you could help. The area is Stroud, Gloucester or Bristol. Thanks.

Andrew, I can't offer work, but I was in the same boat as you late last year, here's what I did.

I went to NICEIC web-site (was not aware of Elecsa or NAPIT or any other 'scheme' at the time), I went to the 'Find an electrician' section and searched on my postcode. The listings returned are pretty much nearest first, but you can go through page after page after page and probably get all the electricians registered with them in the country! I selected only 'Approved contractors' and copied their names and addresses into a spreadsheet (Excel or Open Office (free)) and then did a mail merge and sent a letter to about 140 companies. Using mail merge the letter looks like you've written to them personally and, I think, helped me get a response. I included an SAE with each letter, which I think also helped - people feel obliged to reply if you've gone to a lot of effort, and if they reply they have to think and if they have to think they may remember you when that job comes up next week! Anyway, out of 140ish letters sent I got about twenty replies (not a lot I know), but there were a handful of positive offers, and I've been with the same company since November gaining experience.

If you're not as geeky as me, and don't have the computer skills find someone who is and, if you can't get them to do you a favour then use beer tokens to persuade them. Also, the letter is critically important, before my career change I was, among many other things, responsible for hiring and firing for my previous employer. I saw many hundreds of application letters, and, unless you are 100% certain of your grammar, your spelling (their/there/they're etc), and your delivery, get some help. Ask friends and family to read what you want to send off, get opinions what is good or bad, and suggestions on how better to get across what you want to say - don't waffle (like I'm doing here), edit and get them to read it again, repeat until it's perfect. The letter is the part you should spend the most time on, it's the most important part, it's the only part of the whole project that a prospective employer will see so it's your only chance of persuading them that they should give you a chance.

I hope this helps.

Andrew, I can't offer work, but I was in the same boat as you late last year, here's what I did.

I went to NICEIC web-site (was not aware of Elecsa or NAPIT or any other 'scheme' at the time), I went to the 'Find an electrician' section and searched on my postcode. The listings returned are pretty much nearest first, but you can go through page after page after page and probably get all the electricians registered with them in the country! I selected only 'Approved contractors' and copied their names and addresses into a spreadsheet (Excel or Open Office (free)) and then did a mail merge and sent a letter to about 140 companies. Using mail merge the letter looks like you've written to them personally and, I think, helped me get a response. I included an SAE with each letter, which I think also helped - people feel obliged to reply if you've gone to a lot of effort, and if they reply they have to think and if they have to think they may remember you when that job comes up next week! Anyway, out of 140ish letters sent I got about twenty replies (not a lot I know), but there were a handful of positive offers, and I've been with the same company since November gaining experience.

If you're not as geeky as me, and don't have the computer skills find someone who is and, if you can't get them to do you a favour then use beer tokens to persuade them. Also, the letter is critically important, before my career change I was, among many other things, responsible for hiring and firing for my previous employer. I saw many hundreds of application letters, and, unless you are 100% certain of your grammar, your spelling (their/there/they're etc), and your delivery, get some help. Ask friends and family to read what you want to send off, get opinions what is good or bad, and suggestions on how better to get across what you want to say - don't waffle (like I'm doing here), edit and get them to read it again, repeat until it's perfect. The letter is the part you should spend the most time on, it's the most important part, it's the only part of the whole project that a prospective employer will see so it's your only chance of persuading them that they should give you a chance.

I hope this helps.
Good on you Mate for effort, Good luck

Blimey, didn't know electricians could spell or had to be able to spell in the first place! :D

try this one first:

Competent Persons Register | Home - https://www.competentperson.co.uk/

As you need to find more people than just the NICEIC they may think they have a monopoly but they don't!

Last November, before I began my training, it was the only one I was aware of, so that's where I went. I know better now, and I also know the opinion of many here WRT these 'schemes' :). I don't know if the others offer a similar 'find a contractor in your area' search, so I suggested what I know - and what worked for me.

Reply to ELECTRICAL WORK EXPERIENCE NEEDED in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock