Discuss Electrician Book recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations, 4th ed by Chris Kitcher. I had his first book when doing some courses.
It covers essential testing and trouble shooting and useful for more than just your first courses.
He has some good videos on youtube that accompany the book and explains things well.

During my 2365 course, I bought the following books which all came-in useful at some point:

- The City & Guilds Textbook (Level 2) Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings & Structures) 2013
- City & Guilds Textbook (Level 3) Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings & Structures) 2013
- The Wiring Regulations BS7671 Amendment 3
- Bs7671 - Guidance Note 3
- Bs7671 OSG (The On-Site-Guide)
- EAWR (Electricity at Work Regulations 1989)
- Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations

Get an onsite guide, students guide to the IET wiring regulations and a level 2 City & Guilds 2365 Course text book. Don't buy any more until you get to college. Some you may be able to get from your local library.

A novice friendly book is The Part P Doctor, if that is the correct title! Loads of photos and breaks down different concepts quite well.

And any book by Mr Cockburn :eek:

Last edited:
Wiring and lighting by Mike Lawrence .
It's a basic guide to electrical work but plenty of pics and explains the various wiring methods for lighting and helps you to easily identify them .

The regs change with sickening regularity.
To be fair, I'm happy that the regulations change often. Technology evolves rapidly & constantly, and old systems become outdated & irrelevant. It's awesome that the regulations keep up-to-date with current systems, to ensure people are safe while also recognising/encouraging advancements within the industry. I genuinely wish other laws could follow the same path.

I just don’t want to buy a book and find it’s outdated. Going to get the Level 2 and 3 CG first.
I bought the level 2 book first, then later bought the level 3 book when needed to spread out the cost. You don't need to buy everything at once, focus on what you need right now.

A novice friendly book is The Part P Doctor, if that is the correct title!
I've heard of this book! While I haven't used it myself, from memory, I believe my tutor also recommended it.

To be fair, I'm happy that the regulations change often. Technology evolves rapidly & constantly, and old systems become outdated & irrelevant. It's awesome that the regulations keep up-to-date with current systems, to ensure people are safe while also recognising/encouraging advancements within the industry. I genuinely wish other laws could follow the same path.

I bought the level 2 book first, then later bought the level 3 book when needed to spread out the cost. You don't need to buy everything at once, focus on what you need right now.

I've heard of this book! While I haven't used it myself, from memory, I believe my tutor also recommended it.

I had the first copy when it came out, now passed on to a young un. He said it has helped his understanding of different things electrical. It uses the phrase 'rogering the Charlie' for rodding cables under floorboards!

You first positive comment about the regs needing to evolve is a refreshing one mate! I don't think the majority of sparks are necessarily against reg updates and changes, but the costs of books does rub us up the wrong way!

Reply to Electrician Book recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net