Discuss Electrician gone away, bankrupt, who knows. The question is:- in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Cat

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked by a builder (that i know well) to finish off electrics that someone else started.

It was a rewire but it has been left with basically the 2nd fix to do. There were money problems on the job so has been left for quite a while, now the electricians cannot be found to finish the job.

If i finish the job how do i come off with the Electrical Installation cert?

Do i just put down what i did? If so how does that effect the EIC? Is it classed as a full EIC? How does that effect building control?

Your opinions gratefully appreciated.

I wouldn't be happy signing the EIC unless I was able to check that cable runs were all done properly and all of the installation methods were correct, are you able to do this?

HEY T, C

ive done the same in past, you cant issue electrical installation as you havnt 1st fixed so i would go EICR route to cert it and hopefully you will have an easy 2nd fix if they done it right which i would assume they did at the time, knowing they would be going back to complete it.
i would question though is your builder good for the reddies£££££

TC, if you can verify the cable runs in prescribed zones and they all test out OK, i see no reason not to complete a EIC for the whole job after you've 2nd fixed it. after all, this is what a QS does.

could you use a three part EIC and just sign the testing and inspecting part? , not strictly how it should be done i know, but the builder could mayby then sign the other bits, as mentioned the BCS will probably not look at it in any detail

3 signitures on an EIC , design , install , test.
Get homeowner to sign design , you sign install and test - building control should be happy.
If you or customer dont want to do this then PIR / EICR when job is completed and let customer deal with any notification issues.

EICR is exactly that!!!
thats why we carry them out if all tests come through ok sign it off,also note 1st fix installed by another electrical company.

I don't see why you can't just issue an eic and state exactly what you are responsible for in the extent box that requires it??? If you state you have only 2nd fixed onto existing pre-installed cables but have tested them to bs7671 then you ain't gonna be held accountable for something you haven't done, I think you are worrying far too much, and on a three part cert it's only the person responsible for construction who can issue it and ask the designer and inspector to sign it!

But someone needs to take responsibility for the design element when completing an EIC.
And i wouldnt sign for it if i didnt do the first fix.
Cover your own arse and get the homeowner to countersign it.

I don't see why you can't just issue an eic and state exactly what you are responsible for in the extent box that requires it??? If you state you have only 2nd fixed onto existing pre-installed cables but have tested them to bs7671 then you ain't gonna be held accountable for something you haven't done, I think you are worrying far too much, and on a three part cert it's only the person responsible for construction who can issue it and ask the designer and inspector to sign it![/QUOTE]

the builder can issue it with TC signature on the test and inspect bit

What are the chances that any builder will want an electrical cert with his name on it ?
For work he wasn't directly involved with ?
I'd say nil.

the builder wants paying. he'd sigh his mother's death warrant for that.

I would do an EIC for it. Check what you can with regards zones etc and state on the cert what you have done. Stating that initial wiring done by others, quote the name if you have it

Only thing I could suggest with regards to zones, is to go around with a cable/stud finder and see if you can identify where cables are run in the walls? This might (or maybe not!!)give you peace of mind.

rich

Only thing I could suggest with regards to zones, is to go around with a cable/stud finder and see if you can identify where cables are run in the walls? This might (or maybe not!!)give you peace of mind.

rich
i know a kitchen fitter with a 100% reliable cable finder. it's called a drill.

Reply to Electrician gone away, bankrupt, who knows. The question is:- in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net