Discuss Electrician gone Awol in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some urgent advice please.

Purchased a property, old Victorian. 1 circuit running across all upstairs room sockets. Electrician came in killed the old circuit, wired up new and left unconnected as I was having the rooms plastered and decorated. I now need him back to connect to unit and attach socket facias (What I believe is called the 2nd fix) .

The problem is he has gone AWOL. His phone is dead to the world and I have no other means of contacting him. I have reached out to other electricians and none will touch it as they didn't do the 1st bit.

What are my options...family is moving in, in 6 days and I have no power to sockets upstairs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is the electrician you used a member of one of the schemes? Such as napit, nic, eca, stroma?
Did you pay him for doing the 2nd fix?
I can’t see any issue with taking over a job as you describe, I’ve done this plenty of times.
You just need to be prepared for the new electrician spending time verifying and testing what has already been done.

Well if the Sparky has indeed done a runner, the you have not many options left open to you.
You may need to find a new Electrician, and pay him to inspect the first fix, to enable Him /Her to check that the wiring is done in accordance with BS7671, he should be able to 2nd fix and certify, have you any idea why the sparky number one wont come back? apart from not answering his phone, was he a member of any of the CPS (Competent Persons Schemes) NICEIC or the likes? if so you may get some help from them, not seen many Electricians do 3rd party certification, there are some about, other members may be wiser in that domain, wait and see if anyone else comments. Good luck, a difficult situation the Electrician has left you in, did you pay Him/her for the first fix only, or was She\He paid in full?

He is, though I don't know which...he works for a local firm, and took this on as a moon lighting cash in hand job.

I didn't pay for the 2nd. He said to call him when I was ready for it.

Thanks for the response, very much appreciated.

Well if the Sparky has indeed done a runner, the you have not many options left open to you.
You may need to find a new Electrician, and pay him to inspect the first fix, to enable Him /Her to check that the wiring is done in accordance with BS7671, he should be able to 2nd fix and certify, have you any idea why the sparky number one wont come back? apart from not answering his phone, was he a member of any of the CPS (Competent Persons Schemes) NICEIC or the likes? if so you may get some help from them, not seen many Electricians do 3rd party certification, there are some about, other members may be wiser in that domain, wait and see if anyone else comments. Good luck, a difficult situation the Electrician has left you in, did you pay Him/her for the first fix only, or was She\He paid in full?

Thanks for the response. It's not that he is not coming back to me...its that his phone is dead (as in not even on). Paid for 1st fix, with view to call when ready for 2nd..as instructed by the gentleman.

If as you say he’s a member of one of the schemes then you can go to each website and search for his name..
Whether it’s a moonlighting job or not it still has to be up to all relevant standards, nothing is exempt based on it being a cash job..
Also try the builder, another good option is local wholesalers to track him down

He is, though I don't know which...he works for a local firm, and took this on as a moon lighting cash in hand job.

If he doesn't call you back ......... then make a call to his employer .... and ask to speak to him and if he's on holiday ...... leave a message

That WILL get his attention!

..... then make a call to his employer .... and ask to speak to him and if he's on holiday ...... leave a message

That WILL get his attention .
They will sit up and take note .
With a p45 on the table waiting for him.

should be pretty easy to find a local sparks to complete the task.
at the end of the day all the dirty work has been done and you just need someone to check the 1st fix and do the 2nd fix which is the nice easy clean bit.

if it is a brand new circuit it should really be signed off by a scam member

If as you say he is doing this work off the grid so to speak, the CPS membership you say he longs to could be the firm he is employed by is actually the member, leave it till after the Easter Break, as someone has said it may be that the office is closed, over the Holiday.
In saying that it seems rather foolish of him to leave his office's phone number as a contact for a Moonlighting job, asking for trouble if you ask me, most firms frown on People doing private work, albeit in their own time? But stranger things have happened.

If he's taken it on as a cash job and you knew that before hand then phoning his employer to deliberately land him in the doo doo would be very underhand and likely to scupper any chance at all of him coming back.
Yes I agree a bit underhand, especially as you are not sure of the reason for his phone being switched off.

I don't think you should call his employer, you do not know what's happend to him, he may be ill or had an accident or something. You could get him the sack, It's sad that some on this site are advocating that, I wouldn't mind betting that most here have done something similar in their time.
I agree with Charlie, if you still can't contact him after Easter just get another electrician in to finish the job.

He might have gone to America or similar. In order to avoid excessive charges I turn my phone off for the two weeks that I'm away. It also helps with stress reduction

..... then make a call to his employer .... and ask to speak to him and if he's on holiday ...... leave a message

That WILL get his attention .
They will sit up and take note .
With a p45 on the table waiting for him.

AND ......... if its against his cont

He might have gone to America or similar. In order to avoid excessive charges I turn my phone off for the two weeks that I'm away. It also helps with stress reduction

Turning a phone off doesn't make it dead to the world. Message services do work unless you are on the Vodafone network and select an "outgoing" message only which prevents people leaving messages. I do this when on our Summer Holidays

Back to the OP - do you have his address?

Reply to Electrician gone Awol in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock