Discuss Electrician says I need a new consumer unit to pass inspection - do I really? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MattBUk

DIY
Reaction score
IMG_20220215_113905.jpg
He says 'it's fairly important to change the consumer unit as it wont pass the Inspection in its current state.'

He's coming round tomorrow to replace it, has he given me duff advice?

Cheers,
Matt

It depends. The installation appeared to be satisfactory in 2015, but some people carrying out the test & inspection now are applyig more strict criteria. For example, lack of RCD protection for some circuits.

I'm guessing this is perhas a rental property, possibly an EICR already carried out e.g. via letting agent, and it has come back as unsatisfactory?

It depends. The installation appeared to be satisfactory in 2015, but some people carrying out the test & inspection now are applyig more strict criteria. For example, lack of RCD protection for some circuits.

I'm guessing this is perhas a rental property, possibly an EICR already carried out e.g. via letting agent, and it has come back as unsatisfactory?
No this our house that we are selling. I thought we should get a safety certificate done. I think a lack of RCD on all circuits is a category 3 report, not a category 2 report, so I shouldn't need to replace the unit to get the safety certificate.

Lack of RCD protection is generally a C3, but in some cicumstances can be a C2. It looks like only the cooker circuit is missing RCD protection - if the unused circuit really is unused. Possibly the cooker circuit has a socket e.g. close to the back door, which could thus be used for equipment outside, and would warrant a C2 - otherwise I'd expect it to be a C3. But some people are coding over strictly, partly because there is a NAPIT guide that says so (against industry guidance), and sometimes perhaps because it generates them more work.

In general it is probably a good idea to have a new consumer unit with RCDs for everything, though in this case you won't benefit from that. Nowadays I'd fit an all-RCBO board (NOT a dual RCD board).

Do you have to have an EICR, i.e. have you been asked to, or did you think it was a good idea to help sell the property?

Lack of RCD protection is generally a C3, but in some cicumstances can be a C2. It looks like only the cooker circuit is missing RCD protection - if the unused circuit really is unused. Possibly the cooker circuit has a socket e.g. close to the back door, which could thus be used for equipment outside, and would warrant a C2 - otherwise I'd expect it to be a C3. But some people are coding over strictly, partly because there is a NAPIT guide that says so, and sometimes perhaps because it generates them more work.

In general it is probably a good idea to have a new consumer unit with RCDs for everything, though in this case you won't benefit from that. Nowadays I'd fit and all-RCBO board (NOT a dual RCD board).

Do you have to have an EICR, i.e. have you been asked to, or did you think it was a good idea to help sell the property?
I just thought it would be a good idea to get an EICR to sell the property - do you think it's not required? We have an offer accepted, shall I just wait and see if one is requested?

There is a socket near the back door but I also asked the electrician to remove that.

Thanks for your advice so far, really useful.

You might get asked for an EICR by the buyer, it is increasingly common, though you are under no obligation to have one done - to a certain extent, it depends on how keen the buyer is vs. how deperate you are to sell. Often they are requested so any defects can be used as means to request a price reduction to cover expected remedial work.

Will NOT having it changed hold up the sale or make the buyers pull out?

Is the cost of a new board minuscule in the grand scheme of things?

Personally, I wouldn’t bother to be honest. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with what’s there, and it’s more recent than a lot of properties on the market and being sold with old rewirable fuse boards and lead cables….

I believe it’s called “original features” in estate agent language

You might get asked for an EICR by the buyer, it is increasingly common, though you are under no obligation to have one done - to a certain extent, it depends on how keen the buyer is vs. how deperate you are to sell. Often they are requested so any defects can be used as means to request a price reduction to cover expected remedial work.
Understood. I've cancelled the electrician because I wasn't comfortable that his claim that our consumer unit must be replaced was completely honest. I'll wait and see if the buyer demands an EICR - hopefully their solicitor is crap and they don't!

Reply to Electrician says I need a new consumer unit to pass inspection - do I really? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net