Discuss Electrician Terminology - Spoken Around the Building Site? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hiya, Just wondering if people could list all the electrician talk they hear around the building site, as I've just started out, Finding it a bit fustrating when I don't know what their talking about. At the moment its a foreign language to me.

So any help would be apprectiated

regards Luke

Chopping a Box - Using a Hammer and chisel to create a sqaure hole or box for a backbox to fit init

"BANE! What the fu*k have you done here?"

Always seems to be popular on building sites I've worked on.

(Still not sussed out what it means)

"PIPE STRANGLER" One proclaiming competence in the art of conduit bending/threading stood by a pile of discarded and creatively mangled tube.

"PIPE GOD" One who thinks nothing of delegating the cutting of thirty X 25mm running couplings to the youngest & scrawniest member of the installation team.

Last edited by a moderator:
metal muncher- anybody who 1st fixes on larger sites usually involves tray or ladder rack, trunking and or metal conduit.
cable puller- usually part of of a large gang of monkeys who pull larger armoured cables for 100s of meters
foreman- sits in office dishing out jobs to supervisors whilst drinking coffee
supervisor- walks round site dishing out jobs to golden balls whilst drinking coffee
golden balls- supervisors butt monkey
apprentice- tea boy, stand in butt monkey
electrician- gets all the ****e jobs that golden balls doesn't want
mate- gets all the ****e jobs that electrician can get away with passing the buck on
storeman- tight git who thinks all material is his own and will either give you nothing or the wrong stuff, unless golden balls or above asks for gear for a job at home.
estimator- clueless idiot who works in the office and has never held a pair of side cutters let alone used them.

hope this short list helps and i'm sure other members will add to it

I have a few,

1: Thick ******* - plasterer
2: Thick ******* - bricklayer
3: Thick ******* - plumber
4: Thick ******* - painter

Shall i go on ;)

You've just reminded me Spud.

"STRING-PULLERS"

BT 'engineers' and alarm 'installers'

Rat's nest - A mass of unidentified cables which seem to go in all possible directions (often found in old three phase rewireable distribution boards or lofts where "Barry the Bodger" has been at work.

Cable Monkey - Lad who pulls in the long runs of large cables.

Snipes - Long nose pliers

Butterfly clamp or cord clamp - Henley gland

wood butcher...joiner

wet-pants.... plumber

muck spreader........ plasterer

cable spiker......... drylining fixer

hot pants...... female spark

Reply to Electrician Terminology - Spoken Around the Building Site? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock