Discuss Electrician vs Plumbing - careers ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wouldn't advise my worse enemy to be a sparkie. There is just too much crap that we're expected to deal with now... Part P being just one of them - surely once you're qualified, your qualified. Sparkies have to constantly update qualifications/knowledge (no complaint), and the critierior for full status is constantly being pushed further and further back. As far as I'm concerned its just not worth the time, effort or expense anymore.

Well said. Now I just happen to work for a local authority and we have plumbers, painters and joiners with the lut I sawatter complaining about the fact I am paid more than them. They think we should be paid the same but when does a joiner have to check his work and sign a legal document to say all is safe.

i work as an electrically biased maintenance engineer in a factory so know both points of view and whilst i agree with most of these posts,and appreciate they are from a domestic view, don't dumb down plumbers, fluid flow in pipework equations make your R1+R2 look like 1+2=3 which is exactly what it is, have a look at Bernouilli's equation for fluid flow in pipework for confirmation. for the op, spark all the way!

According to Payscale they have similiar pay
Electrician -is £ 12 ,716 - £36 ,214
Plumber £12,144 - £31,670

I have also check other sites and it says they are both around 24 - 26 k a year.

id say it be good if you know someone in the trade and have job lined up, and as some say electrical is more demanding, where plumbers are let free, if you work for yourself.

try get few weeks work expierience on each trade before starts in september, i assume. then make that choice you want to feed you for your life. ive done bit of everything, bricklaying for a year, plasterboarding and dry lining for six months , jonery 2 years and plumbing odd days when wasnt working with mate it all gets boring after a while, but aint bored with electrics yet. it does seem superior to other trades. dont know why. but it does.

and remember electrical is hard to get a placement...

Reply to Electrician vs Plumbing - careers ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net