Discuss "Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Called to a previous client to work out why he doesn't have lights or fan in his downstairs shower room, or outdoor light...

Worked out that there was no permanent live to the switch, though there was to the fan isolator above it....

Kitchen was recently done, and "electricians" working for the kitchen fitter changed the lights and added a new sub consumer unit for the relevant circuits

4 days later, the downstairs lights stopped working, so could be coincidence, but also seems likely they may have nudged a cable loose somewhere. So lifted the floorboards where they had accessed the existing light transformers to add their new lights - to find this:

"Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... PXL_20210705_201127557 - Copy - EletriciansForums.net

No idea if they added the choc boxes (when were they first produced? Last kitchen work was done in 2003), but even so found this, connected their stuff to it - and happily put the floor back down...

Opened the choc box and this is what happened:

"Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... PXL_20210705_201409092 - Copy - EletriciansForums.net

And incidentally for some bizarre reason there is 2.5mm cable joining those boxes, even though it is all on the switched feed to the lights...

And this is how they connected another of the leads to their LAP downlights

"Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... PXL_20210705_202256967 - Copy - EletriciansForums.net

While this may have been already there, they left it and didn't take the 5 minutes to correct (earth cut back)

"Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... PXL_20210705_200549305 - Copy - EletriciansForums.net

And to top it all, the cables into their Axiom consumer unit : No gland or grommet, but lots of silicone...

"Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... PXL_20210705_203517302 - Copy - EletriciansForums.net

It's not the quality of the brands that matter here, it's the fact that they couldn't be bothered to take even a few minutes to do things vaguely properly....

To be honest, Wago connectors would have been easier and likely quicker that this mess, regardless of what the right way is....

Client doesn't want them back, so now I need to not only sort this crap, but have more floor up to find where the missing permanent live has come loose...

I've worked for bathroom and kitchen fitters and know the pressures on time, etc - but it's still possible to do a job that won't have the next person cursing your contribution to the world....

"Part P" certificate is promised apparently, so we'll see what comes of that...

Was apparently separate electricians from the kitchen fitter - who I might have believed could have done that....

NO WAY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN DID THIS
I've worked for kitchen fitters for many years. I've seen all the things that have been described here and worse. I think it's a problem of the mentality of some electricians. There seems to be loads of domestic electricians that think they're a good sparky if they're fast. And of course the faster you get through a job the more money you can earn both in terms of doing more work in a day and finishing a job quicker than the time you quoted but still charging the same price. This is a big problem.
My approach has always been - leave the job being proud of your vworkmanship, and knowing that it's safer when you left it than it was before you started. If you can't tick these two boxes then what's the point??

It down to £££££ .How much the client wants to spend and how cheap the sparks can do it for and move onto the next job etc

It down to £££££ .How much the client wants to spend and how cheap the sparks can do it for and move onto the next job etc
Don't agree. If the customer has an idea of what they want but the price is too high, then the solution is to rethink what they want, supply cheaper fittings etc, or find an electrician who will work for less.

The solution is not to do a poor job that doesn't meet the regs and then take the money and run...

The trade is governed by standards fior good reason. They can't be ignored and then use cost saving as an excuse.

Don't agree. If the customer has an idea of what they want but the price is too high, then the solution is to rethink what they want, supply cheaper fittings etc, or find an electrician who will work for less.

The solution is not to do a poor job that doesn't meet the regs and then take the money and run...

The trade is governed by standards fior good reason. They can't be ignored and then use cost saving as an excuse.
The trade is governed by standards ....! I really wish it was and only governed by Government not private companies . Far too many people just want a cheap job and dont worry about the risks etc .And many trades will pick up these jobs as they are always cash and easy .

I’m fighting my way through a kitchen refit as we speak.

Found 2 old backboxes with live joints behind the tiles, Spurs off spurs, and a number of loose connections. Done by a local kitchen fitting company 25 years ago.

The new kitchen isn’t much better. Joiner had (almost) drilled through a cable which is in a safe zone, and he’s cut the plug off the brand new fridge freezer rather than drill a big enough hole.

and for some reason, whatever plumber it is, always floods out the sink unit.

It’s not just dodgy electricians

The trade is governed by standards ....! I really wish it was and only governed by Government not private companies . Far too many people just want a cheap job and dont worry about the risks etc .And many trades will pick up these jobs as they are always cash and easy .
Fair point.

I think it is governed by standards but probably more accurate to say the standards are poorly enforced.

Yes there will always be bad electricians that do sub standard jobs for cash you're right about that. Maybe if it was properly policed and the public properly educated about the dangers then that would reduce the incidences of really poor installations. Propper prosecution and large fines would also help. But there doesn't seem the will to go down that road.

Personally I couldn't live with the thought that something I'd done could burn someone's house down or cause electric shock. I'm sure loads of electricians feel the same.

Indeed, they will, but being a qualified tradesperson should involve an element of conscience as well as a fair amount of conscientious skill.
These are just selfless idiots.....and by the bus load.
The deterioration is frightening and, as said for the last 10 years, things continue to worsen.

Last edited:
Some incredibly shoddy work I have seen the people who actually did it when you speak yo them are convinced their work is decent

not everyone has high standards , infact I would argue most people have quite low standards

The new kitchen isn’t much better. Joiner had (almost) drilled through a cable which is in a safe zone, and he’s cut the plug off the brand new fridge freezer rather than drill a big enough hole.

I reckon pot luck is employed when fitting wall units - they don't seem to care if an accessory is directly below - just cross fingers and close eyes.

It's not always the fault of the kitchen fitter. If the fixing bracket for a wall unit has to go there, it has to go there.
Whenever I've wired a kitchen, I've obtained a copy of the plans, confirmed with the client that these are the final plans, written in stone, and won't be deviated from. then confirmed that again a day or two later. I then design the electrics so that my chases come, as near as possible, to the middle of the gap between where all the unit fixings will be, or at least, well away from them.

In this instance, it was the original cooker cable, not a circuit i had to work on... just refitting the hob where it had been previously. Running down to the floor. Just so happened to be in line where two base units met. He was going to screw those little metal right angle brackets to the wall.
Luckily he did ask where the cable might be....

It's not always the fault of the kitchen fitter. If the fixing bracket for a wall unit has to go there, it has to go there.
Whenever I've wired a kitchen, I've obtained a copy of the plans, confirmed with the client that these are the final plans, written in stone, and won't be deviated from. then confirmed that again a day or two later. I then design the electrics so that my chases come, as near as possible, to the middle of the gap between where all the unit fixings will be, or at least, well away from them.

Fair point, but most of the kitchens I see are solid backed and fixings don't need to be in an exact spot.

Fair point, but most of the kitchens I see are solid backed and fixings don't need to be in an exact spot.
Base units, maybe, but most wall units have two brackets that fit to the wall 20mm in from the outer edge of the cabinet, and engage with fittings on the cabinet that allow up and down adjustment to position them accurately.

Reply to "Electricians" working for kitchen fitters - please don't do this... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock