Discuss Electricity Board crimped lead security tags in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davidmartin

Hi,
Anyone advise here,
If changing a CU to bring circuits to conformity, how does anyone suggest dealing with any isolating point or fuse for the CU that has got those crimped lead tags on?

Most DNO's allow registered sparks to cut seals, remove fuse and carry out work, replace fuse and reseal.

Not all tho, so you need to contact them and check with them. The may say that they will come and reseal for free or possible a smallish charge.

Thanks Jason,
Mind you when you say re-seal, can we get the appropriate tool and tags from a permiting supplier?

so why botther contacting supplier? most of the time you cant get through any way, only to find there not interested.
cut, remove do job and reseal, customers genrally wont know any different, and they still have seals on.

had a look at that link above, and there are some plastic-lead seals that are red, whats the difference, i seem to remember or have read something about dont touch if you find a red seal as its under investigation by the supplier or something..........ever heard of this.

Never heard of suppliers letting you do this. They usually request the customer has an isolation switch fitted at a small charge, or they will come in the morning and pull the fuse, then come back in the evening to re energize. This is when if u get a nice bloke, he leaves you the fuse :D.

As i said, most or maybe should have been some DNO's will allow registered sparks to cut & reseal. SSE do, but you have to go to the depot and collect seals and hand over your details.

Red seals are used when there has been evidence of tampering on the supply. If these are in place then the DNO should be contacted and the seal should not be cut without their permission.

Never heard of suppliers letting you do this. They usually request the customer has an isolation switch fitted at a small charge, or they will come in the morning and pull the fuse, then come back in the evening to re energize. This is when if u get a nice bloke, he leaves you the fuse :D.

power company will fit an isolation switch free of charge just phone them up and they will come and do it in a week

edit : has to be the householder who requests it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Anyone advise here,
If changing a CU to bring circuits to conformity, how does anyone suggest dealing with any isolating point or fuse for the CU that has got those crimped lead tags on?

What tags or seals?:rolleyes:. Every house i go to never seems to be one on.;)

Some time back we were thinking of getting an electric hob fitted which would have involved a new radial circuit so we got an electrician into to give us a quote. He said that we should also change the consumer unit if we went ahead but told us to get an isolation switch fitted and that it would be free. Sure enough when we phoned up EON they came out within a week and did it free of charge. Told a friend about it and he did the same - not sure who his supplier was though. The electrician implied that any supplier had to fit an isolation switch if one was requested.

Morning all,,,,

I have a related question, to upgrade the Consumer unit and generally this includes upgrading the tails. I assume that the tails from cut out to meter, and meter to C.U have to be changed by the supplier? unless they have allready done this and put in an isolator.

how do you guys get around the meter if it has a "reset" switch thing in it to prevent tampeing? have you guys acome across this before?

Reply to Electricity Board crimped lead security tags in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock