Discuss Electricity board responsibility for noisy supply? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

echase

-
Reaction score
At my son’s house a gas contractor damaged his incoming mains cable during pipe laying in the road ouside his boundary. It was only slight damage and for 2-3 weeks just sparked/leaked away underground causing surges and spikes on his mains whose cause was unknown to my son. They noticed some flickering lights. Then it went open circuit and the supply failed for his house only. No fuse/CB blew. The repairers said it was the gas people that damaged it.

In that period a number of devices failed like a digital thermostat for CH, a PC and the element on the washing machine. Does the electricity board (SEB) have any responsibility to compensate him for the damage as we think the sparking caused it?

I fixed the digital stat. The spike suppressor was shorted which is a pretty good clue that the supply was excessively noisy. How can we pin this on the electricity/gas board?

SEB will wash their hands of it, and rightly so, it wasn’t their fault. Your battle is with gas company.

May your god help you!

Gas man say Computer says no we didnt do it, it was damaged already, a big circle of frustration and hard to proof it wasnt already damaged and just nudged enough to see its demise. Unfortunately you'll have to claim on your own insurance as its the same when theiving scum raid the sub-stations and blow half the streets electrics the DNO wash their hands of responsibilty, a long shot would be to issue a solicitors letter to gas company expressing that the fault was caused by their works and that DNO have pinpointed the damaged to coincide with recent works done by them. GOOD LUCK !!!

Reply to Electricity board responsibility for noisy supply? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net