Discuss Electricity Meter Certification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

First time poster, not sure if this post is in the correct section? I am trying to sort out a meter for a friend who has an equestrian business.

He has an old three phase supply but no three phase equipment. EON are metering an average of 80kwh per day which I am disputing.

The meter is a Landis Gyr 3 phase 4 wire, certified in January 1984. Under the Electricity Act 1989, should this meter still be in use?

Also (!) when I tap the glass on the meter, the dials all vibrate noticeably up and down, (around 1/2 to 1mm) not much but they vibrate, if that makes sense. Should the dials be that loose?

Thanks in advance

Michael

F18B8FDE-3C83-4598-979E-C3B4D72BD0F4.jpeg

Is there a 3 phase fuse board as these are quite common on farms etc if so it is possible that even though your friend isn’t using 3 phase equipment the circuits that are being used are spread across the 3 phases.

Thanks,

We have spoken with EON, they have said it’s ok?

You can never speak to anyone technically trained?

I thought all meters have a ten or twenty year certification life?

I happen to have a very similar (but single phase) meter supplying my house and there are thousands of them still out there and working well. As far as I know the certification for that type of meter has not been revoked.
There are programs in place to upgrade meters but the process is very slow as a mass replacement (such as is happening with smart meters) is far too expensive (normally) to implement for all properties with electricity supplies.
If you genuinely believe that the readings are incorrect then you can contact the electricity supplier and ask for a check meter to be installed for a period to compare readings, however if the readings are correct then you would have to pay for this.
Alternatively you could get an electrician to install a meter on your side of the supply as your own verification.
I doubt you will have much luck in pursuing the "meter too old" process unless it is faulty.

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot see how the usage is averaging 80kwh per day, with no apparent faults?

Do you know the approximate cost the energy supplier will charge if they check the meter and it is found to be ok? I think the approved company they all use is SGS?

Also the approximate cost of having a secondary meter installed on my side of the meter please?

Thanks

I happen to have a very similar (but single phase) meter supplying my house and there are thousands of them still out there and working well. As far as I know the certification for that type of meter has not been revoked.
There are programs in place to upgrade meters but the process is very slow as a mass replacement (such as is happening with smart meters) is far too expensive (normally) to implement for all properties with electricity supplies.
If you genuinely believe that the readings are incorrect then you can contact the electricity supplier and ask for a check meter to be installed for a period to compare readings, however if the readings are correct then you would have to pay for this.
Alternatively you could get an electrician to install a meter on your side of the supply as your own verification.
I doubt you will have much luck in pursuing the "meter too old" process unless it is faulty.

Also, I know this might sound strange!

If you tap the glass should there be any movement on the dials?

No reason why the meter should new replaced if it is functioning properly, sounds like a large draw though have you clamped equipment to see which is drawing the most power? Or has someone cheekily connected into your system for some free juice...

So when you are there look at the meter and watch how fast it is going round. Then switch off circuits until the rotation speed suddenly drops, that will be the high draw circuit. Obviously we do not know what items may be connected so can make no assessment of the feasibility of such an operation or the likely problems. It is probably a faulty heater somewhere that is overheating nicely.
Costs for check meters may vary widely by supplier it is probably easier to ring them and ask.
To have a personal meter installed would depend on how easy it is to install, access to isolatable supply cables and so forth.
For just a check I would suggest a reconditioned CT operated meter may be the cheapest and easiest option but you would need to get a local electrician to assess the ease of installation and the availability of meters as they are not always easy to get reconditioned (but they are much cheaper).
You could perhaps just purchase a three phase energy monitor for about ÂŁ100 and just get an idea of demand, but watching the meter is cheaper still.
The dial of such a meter is balanced carefully between sensors and could well vibrate if the meter is struck, I would not recommend this as a regular occurrence, though if you smash the glass the meter replacement may happen sooner and more expensively than you expected!

Meters were often re-certified and re-used, it could have a later certification label on the back. ( I know you can't check it!) Ok for dials to be loose, as long as they don't change.

I cannot see how the usage is averaging 80kwh per day, with no apparent faults?

What loads are connected and in use?

Take a meter reading at the same time every day for a week or two and you’ll be able to calculate the average usage per day according to that meter.
3 cheap home energy monitors could be used as a diy rough check of the meter,

The last equestrian business I did work for had quite a high usage with electrically heated hot water, washing machines and tumble dryers in very regular use along with motorised machine for walking horses round in circles outside.

I've read here before, a supplier is obliged to add additional metering, to verify their property meter is functional, if there is any doubt over their accuracy?

In the days of the leccy board we used to either test the meter by timing disc revs and comparing to a known load, or by fitting a check meter.

Reply to Electricity Meter Certification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net