Discuss Electrics down to the garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toll

Hi everyone, I need to install 2 double sockets and 1 light in the garage 25 metres from the house. Would SWA 4mm 4 core cable do the job? (As I have got some 4 mm 4 core cable or have I got to have 3 core instead? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Do you think it will be okay? What concern do you have regarding this installation? Apart from the obvious of having to notify the Local Authority Building Control as per Part P of the Building Regulations ;)

The only concern I have is if the 4 core 4mm SWA cable can be used by a qualified electrician who I can employ to do the job. If the cable isn't correct I have time to get a different one. As you can tell I have no electrical knowledge and would expect the electrician to do the job legally and safely.
Thanks

I will give a straight answer lol ,
yes 4mm swa will be fine , the extra unused core ( you only need 3 ) will be left unconnected

I will give a straight answer lol ,
yes 4mm swa will be fine , the extra unused core ( you only need 3 ) will be left unconnected

And I will contradict you :lol:
it might not be fine depending on where it is being taken from and the voltage drop calcs. But yes, I agree there is no problem having a "spare" core.

The only person who can really answer the question is the electrician who will sign it off.

Hi everyone, I need to install 2 double sockets and 1 light in the garage 25 metres from the house. Would SWA 4mm 4 core cable do the job? (As I have got some 4 mm 4 core cable or have I got to have 3 core instead? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
that would be fine to use for your requirements

Reply to Electrics down to the garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

HI folks, I'm on the management committee of the block of flats where I live. We've got ancient garage electrics and want to rewire. I have a...
Replies
Views
Was having a poke around the old man's house today. Anyway. DB is under stairs (18th ed following a recent extension. Not done by me but it's...
Replies
Views
Hi all hope u all have a fab christmas , my name is Nick and i bought a roller garage door it got delivered yesterday but due to holidays the...
Replies
Views
Hi, if getting back to the CU is not an option, instead of spurring off a socket via a Sfs putting the rating down to 13a. Could you spur off the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I just found this forum last night and figured I would post my issue since I can't find much out there with a similar situation. My job...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock