Discuss Electrics nearby dog washing station? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cookci

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

We are extending our kitchen and putting a "dog washing station" in the corner of the room which is basically a small shower cubical with a bidet hose (hose is going to be plumbed in about 1M above the ground level)

Do you know what the legal requirements would be in terms of electrics nearby for this? Nobody seems to know.

I understand if it was a normal shower then sockets need to be 3M's away

Thanks

Which i guess is tricky as the kitchen is open plan?

surely there needs to be walls defining the edge of the bathroom or is it literally just 3 meters from the outer wall of the shower base?

Which i guess is tricky as the kitchen is open plan?

surely there needs to be walls defining the edge of the bathroom or is it literally just 3 meters from the outer wall of the shower base?

This link may help:

https://electrical.------.org/wirin...on-701-locations-containing-a-bath-or-shower/

Maybe there is something we could do differently with the dog washing station to make it acceptable to have electrics nearby?

If you google pictures "dog washing station" then quite alot of the pictures show nearby electrical devices

Maybe there is something we could do differently with the dog washing station to make it acceptable to have electrics nearby?

If you google pictures "dog washing station" then quite alot of the pictures show nearby electrical devices

What electrical devices are needed near the washing station?
For drying the dogs can you not just move them away from the wash station and then dry them?

or use a towel like us peasants do. hair dryers are for poofdas poodles.

No socket from egde of shower for 3 meters.
This is the rule for a room containing a bath or shower as well as other rules.
Link on post 4 says it all.

Other rules are any circuits supplying or passing through a room containing a bath or shower should be RCD protected.

Unless your dogs are showering themselves, the humans are primarily the main concern. Just pointing that out.

I agree with the advice/comments made. Treat as a shower basin. Special location regs apply. What does the electrical contractor your using say?

I would say you need to take the regulations for showers and maybe apply a little bit of a a common sense adjustment to suit your particular scenario.

It's probably not that different to a sink with a spray hose type thing.

The regs for bath and shower are primarily for the butt nakedness and covered in water thing.
At least that is my understanding of it.

We aren’t using one yet, was hoping to just get it signed off instead

Apparently BS7671 doesn’t apply to dogs but it does to sheep and cows but like you say dogs don’t wash themselves!

I think I can get away with sticking to the zones but might struggle with the tv the wife wants!

There is one socket with 2metres but it’s in a cupboard with a brick back to it (previous outside wall) so I assume that’s ok? The brick side is facing the shower.

Also there is another existing socket about 2.8 metres but is Round a corner (30cm brick wall). Not sure about this one

Can I just install a 12v TV in there and keep the transformer a good distance away?

Basically we are having our kitchen extended and in the corner of the new extension we are having this dog wash station but now some of the preexisting kitchen bits are going to be within the 3metres. I was only going to get the spark to sign off the new wiring we do though

We are doing the build to building regs however but I don’t think the inspector is interested in any of the electrics as long as it’s been signed off?

"Apparently BS7671 doesn’t apply to dogs but it does to sheep and cows but like you say dogs don’t wash themselves! "

Well, to be fair, they do wash "bits" of themselves...
...because they can!

I was only going to get the spark to sign off the new wiring we do though

Have you got an electrician lined up to do this for you already?

If not you need to be aware that they will need to see the design and cable calculations before you start, inspect first and second fix as well as complete the testing and certification. Also they will only be able to sign off the inspection and testing, you will need to sign in the boxes for the design and construction.

You should also note a lot of us will refuse to do this kind of job because signing off someone else's work opens us up to liability.

We aren’t using one yet, was hoping to just get it signed off instead

Apparently BS7671 doesn’t apply to dogs but it does to sheep and cows but like you say dogs don’t wash themselves!

I think I can get away with sticking to the zones but might struggle with the tv the wife wants!

There is one socket with 2metres but it’s in a cupboard with a brick back to it (previous outside wall) so I assume that’s ok? The brick side is facing the shower.

Also there is another existing socket about 2.8 metres but is Round a corner (30cm brick wall). Not sure about this one

Can I just install a 12v TV in there and keep the transformer a good distance away?

I'd disagree with your comment re 7671 not applying to dogs. Where does it state that? It refers to livestock in numerous places, particularly under definitions but does not in itself define what livestock is.

The free dictionary.com livestock - https://www.thefreedictionary.com/livestock
defines livestock as Domestic animals, such as cattle or horses, raised for home use or for profit, especially on a farm. A dog is a domestic animal albeit not a horse or cattle.

Part 4 of 7671 refers to protective measures of persons, livestock and property. In a similar vain are we to argue (for example) that a shed is not property?

Section 130 regular refers to livestock and the associated hazards and under Part 2 there is a definition of 'arrangements for livestock keeping' stating buildings or rooms (housing of animals, cages, runs and other containers used for the continuous accommodation of livestock.

I'm guessing as I have no evidence that dogs might be less conductive than humans but once hosed in water will still potentially have an easy path for current to pass along/through.

Thats just my take on it anyway.

If you sockets are where you say they are then I'd not be too worried. As for the TV maybe the wifey has to put up with it being somewhere else?

Its a tricky one. But ultimately my thinking from a court of law perspective it would come down to what the definition of a "shower" is regarded as and its intended purpose. The OP states that its going to be a "small shower cubicle" in which case it would be regarded (my opinion) as a "shower" by definition of the regs and therefore special locations regs would be applicable. But as its designed for a domestic animal and the person cleaning the animal is not likely to be naked in the shower themselves (unless you are into that sort of thing) then in principal its no different than a shower hose attachment you get on a kitchen sink, in which case common sense should prevail. But then one could argue, if you throw out common sense, that the shower could be used by a small child.

I’ve heard some people use kitchen sinks to wash their babies with plug sockets 30cm away.

It’s very confusing all this!
Not convinced dogs could ever be called livestock

Reply to Electrics nearby dog washing station? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock