Discuss Electro-technical Officer training in the merchant Navy. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

T.Glass

Hi all.

I'm currently a self-employed electrician, working on mainly domestic installations alongside a Part P registered electrician, like alot of people, we've not really had a lot on so I've been searching the net for various avenues, Oil Rigs and other types of stuff I've never really done but had no joy.

Then I stumbled across the electro-technical officer role that's now being advertised by the merchant navy, it looks really promising, you get sponsored by a shipping company to be put through courses at one or various universities over a few years, spending time on board ships and ashore too.

I'm just wondering if anybody has gone through this at all?
I really fancy it, I know it means taking a drop in pay, the course is paid for by the sponsoring company and you get £120 a week I believe.

I like the idea of going out to sea to work and seeing the world, whilst learning this side of electrical work, like I say I've only ever worked on domestic, commercial and industrial buildings.

But yeah if anybody knows any stuff about these courses and the lifestyle, that would be great to know.

I've e-mailed the companies but the ones who replied just tend not to tell you alot.

Cheers, Tommy.

I applied online through Clyde Marine Training and got selected for interview. There is other organizations like SSTG. The good thing is they find you a sponsoring company and pay you £175 a month. I think SSTG get paid more. You still sparking then? If your looking for a change I would recommend this. Good career prospects and pay plus you get to see the world!

Yeah I'm still sparkying, yeah it did look really good. I've been offered some paid training and then work in robotics, prospects look really good aswell. Tends to be for car manufacturers across the world. It's for a fella I did some work for so I'm gonna get on that I think. He said the money can be outrageous if you're prepared to travel, which I am! But if it doesn't come off then I might apply again.

Have a look at all the sponsoring companies-some still have ETO vacancies for september-my son is in process of applying for deck and has to wait til Jan

Reply to Electro-technical Officer training in the merchant Navy. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net