Discuss Electronic recording of DEIC or PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky200

I am interested to know how members are getting on using electronic means to record their test results on site. How many people are using laptops, netbooks or PDAs. Personally I am unable to get on with a PDA but am thinking of using a Samsung netbook which is 10" screen and 8 hr battery life and reasonably robust. Not sure which software to use. I have tried the easycert which I have found very useful. I do have the option of the Amtech fastest but have not used this on site.
What about efficiency in using this system. After the first few tests is it quicker than hand writing the forms?

Any thoughts on the matter would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards to all

Sparky200

I would really like to do the certs electronically but I find the options quite expensive. Easy cert looks good but my trial version ended. Si generally take a blank cert with me and fill it in as i go along by hand, then type it out when I get home, a bit slow but beggers cant be choosers lol.

My own choice for use of a Laptop would be Excel or another similar spread-sheet. I like the following:
a) I control when it saves values, as often as I choose
b) The entire layout of the schedule of test results can be seen on the screen at once, just like a piece of paper
c) Extra columns and rows can be added easily
b) It does not control in any way the order I measure and record values
e) Values can be compared to each other easily
f) Problem values and missing values can be made bold, coloured in yellow, etc

Thanks for your reply Random Fruit.
Would you be happy to share a version of the excel sheet you use to record your results?
Presumably it was one you created yourself?
Is it something that your inspector is happy about?

Thanks again

Mark

Yes, it was one I created myself.

Row 1 contains the same column heading as the schedule of test results, copied from the Napit schedule.
Rows 2 onwards are blank until I take the schedule to a job with testing.

I'm sure my inspector will have no problems, after all, I'm responsible for accuracy of results on both my sheet and in any certificates I prepare. I see the XL schedule as nothing more than rough notes.

I don't wish to share it as (a) it was very simple for me to prepare (b) schedules from different forms tend to have slightly different columns and orders (c) I don't know how to upload onto this forum.

Go on, have a go with Excel yourselves.

Reply to Electronic recording of DEIC or PIR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net