Discuss Electronic time lag switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

goldie

Hi all.
Got another query regarding time lag switches.
One of my lads has fitted some led lights which are switched from multiple points via time lag type.
Normal switches were in use before and all worked ok.
Now the time lag switches are in place all lights are on constantly. (They work with one time lag switch in place apparently but go into over ide once multiple switches are added)
I'm going to view the job tomorrow and want to be on the right lines. I don't doubt his wiring ability but I'm thinking i will need capacitors to make it work?
If so what type? Across which connections? At all switches?
Unless I'm completely on the wrong path any advise is welcome.
Thanks

There are 2 types on the market so we need to know what make you have installed, 1 is wired all in parallel the other is master and slave combination.

Tls1440 is just basic switching......so 2 core to each switch in parallel...brown in/out to all Lin terminals and blue switch out to all out L terminals..

I don't know if ive explained myself properly.
My electrician and i understand wiring perfectly.
My question is that with all wiring correct and present there is a problem with time lag switches trying to switch LED. This is why I mentioned capacitors

With 2-wire types the electronics are powered in series with the load as they can't see the neutral. They have a minimum load requirement, in this case 5W, as they pass their operating current through the load when off. Multiple units in parallel will require the total of their minimum loads, and even so will possibly light LEDs of higher rating. If you can get the neutrals to the switches, 3-wire types will avoid this issue, or else you will need to increase the load perhaps with one tungsten lamp.

Note that the instructions suggest they are suitable for incandescent and fluorescent but not LED lighting.

Last edited:
There are around 4-5 16 watt loads for the switches totaling around 64-80watts.
However it is LED. No chance with the neutrals. Are there any components out there I can add in the circuit. Or even the standard pneumatic type switches?

I thought that (with high dyarting current)but they work if they are on their own.
I've just had a look further on the Internet and ellipse do a time lag switch compatible with LED. Will try this I think. Cheers all.

That all sounds very complicated, why not try the pneumatic type:

Columbus Pneumatic Time Delay Switch | Timers & Controllers | NoLinkingToThis

If they work you can take your electronic switches back for a refund.

That all sounds very complicated, why not try the pneumatic type:

Columbus Pneumatic Time Delay Switch | Timers & Controllers | NoLinkingToThis

If they work you can take your electronic switches back for a refund.

The problem with these are that in communal areas they just get thumped in keeping the lights on permanent, I even seen match sticks wedging the switch in before lol.

Reply to Electronic time lag switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net