Discuss Electrostatic Earthing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Looking for advice involved in Earthing & Bonding in decanting of Flammable liquids. Any electrician been hands on in chemical manufacturing .Thanks in advance.

You need to pay for professional advice and engineering design from a company with the appropriate skills. DSEAR is the law in this country so you need to comply.

You need to pay for professional advice and engineering design from a company with the appropriate skills. DSEAR is the law in this country so you need to comply.
Thanks for the replies I was aware of DSEAR . I carry out a lot of electrical work for this chemical company producing cleaning products.The issue is basically decanting from a 10 litre metal drum of liquid on a concrete floor to a plastic bucket to add to a large stainless steel vat on a gantry. I will know more of what flammable liquids ,probably perfume are being used on Monday. I can test & check existing earthing & bonding to all production areas or do I walk away.

Thanks for the replies I was aware of DSEAR . I carry out a lot of electrical work for this chemical company producing cleaning products.The issue is basically decanting from a 10 litre metal drum of liquid on a concrete floor to a plastic bucket to add to a large stainless steel vat on a gantry. I will know more of what flammable liquids ,probably perfume are being used on Monday. I can test & check existing earthing & bonding to all production areas or do I walk away.

Firstly, the company should be advising you of any ATEX zoning. Until that is known, anything else is pointless. Meeting the requirements of any zoning involves a lot more than checking existing earthing and bonding.

I worked for 25 years in the chemical and pharmaceutical industry from plant operative to shift plant manager, involved in risk assessments, HAZOPs and procedure prepereation.

The above idea is mental.

Flammable liquids should not be poured but pumped or pressure transferred from and to an inert atmosphere.

All equipment should be earthed the holding vessel, recieving vessel, the pump and all transfer lines.

Some flammable liquids are much more prone to generating static on transfer, Petrols, Toluene, Ethers and others much less so.

This is not something you should be designing. Installing to a suitable design fine.

By the sounds of the company, I'd walk.

Reply to Electrostatic Earthing in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net