Discuss Elesca assesment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was just looking over the requirements for the elesca assement. It says they need to see EIC's for the last 12 months.

Q1) If you were'nt registered before how would you do these works and sort out the part p?

Q2) If you did these works knowing you would be registered aventually, once you are registred, can you then sign off the work you've done over the past 12 months?

Q3) If you dont want to register with anyone but still do some notifyable/part p work, and go through the local building control, do they charge per job and is it a fixed price or does it depend on what the job is?

I was told that in Bradford it costs £110 to notify building control for part p for Installations worth up to £2000. Which isnt that bad if your doing a rewire but if your just installing an extractor fan in a bathroom and would normally only charge the customer £60, then you would have to charge the extra £110. That is alot of money for 1hrs work installing a fan. Or have I heard this wrong?

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Jay

If you're just starting out they won't be surprised if you only have 1 or 2 EICs from the last 12 months. You can't join and then register stuff from ages ago, but you can join and register the job you used for your assessment. (You shouldn't of course, but it's what everyone does.)

Each council has there own charging structure, but the figures you quote sound not unusual. If they don't think you are competent to test, then they will charge you for them to send someone to test/inspect. Basically there is only one financially viable route and that is to be a member of one of the schemes.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if could prove I am competent then they won't charge me for notifying them?

How do other sparkys get on at first before the register if they have to charge them sort of prices.

Jay

It depends - different council's have different policies. If you can prove you're competent, then they will probably still charge for notification (£110), but not for testing.

What most people do is do one significant, notifiable job, which they notify after they have passed the assessment. The assessor won't ask if you've notified it.

Forget notifying the job until after your assessment. They never even mentioned it at my first one. Just pass then notify once they've set you account up.

As for your certs, I had 3 jobs which were minor works, then 1 EIC which was my assessment job

same here!! i did CU change and used that then notified after!

Same here. Assessor asked me if I'd notified building control. Conversation went something like:

"So, have you notified BC about the CU change?"

"Erm...no. I was waiting on the outcome of my assessment before deciding on the best course of action"

"Good man!"

I spoke to my building control ahead of starting the job and their view was that as long as it was going to be notified and certified then they weren't worried about me starting the job without my Scheme Membership in Place.

Reply to Elesca assesment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net