Discuss ellison breaker in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello Shagbite.

Thank you for the latest Ellison brochure. A big improvement on the gear that was coming out of Wellhead Lane in the 1960s! No mention of price or delivery time though, so no change at Ellisons........

Regards,

Colin Jenkins.

So where did you strip that little beauty from??
was changing some grid lights this morning up Armley...
as it was there were a couple of lift engineers re-commisioning a service lift...
so i was chatting to em as you do (i was working in the same area)....and happened to mention George Ellison stuff that lifts used a lot...
they said it had been just left on the floor in the machinery room after it had been de-commisioned...so i asked em if i could have it and they said take it away.......

Neat - don't often see them this clean and tidy. I've probably got specs & dwgs in the handbook somewhere. Use it as a novelty light switch? Or do you have a biggish motor that needs protection? I see yours has the sticky-outy pushbuttony bit on the top but in Shagbite's pic they are on the front, two on each unit. Not sure why that is.

Lucien

ok boys...

View attachment 19689

View attachment 19690

As can be seen an Ellison Bantam breaker. They were available up to 60A

View attachment 19691

Showing the reset handle

View attachment 19692

View attachment 19693

The reset mechanism is the two brass latches. The bar to the front is the trip bar for the overloads. I know what this was used on and there is something major wrong. The hole you can see under the trip bar should have an under voltage coil and plunger.

View attachment 19694

This shows the somewhat crude interlock mechanism that stopped the top being removed when the OCB is closed. Didn’t stop you taking to top of and then closing the breaker.

View attachment 19695

Two of the three overload coils. This is looking from the back.
Typical of Ellison, they are upside down. Doesn’t affect how they work.

View attachment 19696

View attachment 19697

The overload oil dash pots are in this housing. It can be locked to stop tampering.

View attachment 19698

View attachment 19699

Anyone thats worked in the heavy industrial field will recognise the red PB.

View attachment 19700

View attachment 19701

The three overload dashpots. Minus the under voltage coil (that hole again).

View attachment 19702

The wire between the oil dash pots isn’t anything to do with earthing.
Due to vibration the pots could unscrew and drop off rendering the OCB useless for O/L protection.

View attachment 19703

View attachment 19704

View attachment 19705

You can just make out the calibration marking on the dash pots. By using different coils the same pots could be used across a wide range of currents.

View attachment 19706

View attachment 19707

View attachment 19708

View attachment 19709

View attachment 19710

View attachment 19711

View attachment 19712

View attachment 19713

The business end, the contacts. No arc suppression other than the distance in oil. On the larger breakers the contacts were evenly spaced. The bunching to the LHS is due to the space required for the under volt coil.

View attachment 19714

My main maintenance tools for these breakers?

A file and ¼” chisel I was issued with as an apprentice. Used only to dress contacts.

I’ve had the same 6” half round for 40 years. Its never been used on anything other than copper or sintered silver. The chisel has never been hit with a hammer.

View attachment 19715

View attachment 19716

View attachment 19717

View attachment 19718

View attachment 19719

View attachment 19720

View attachment 19721

View attachment 19722

View attachment 19723

View attachment 19724

View attachment 19725

View attachment 19726

And now it`s over to Tony for a description....

My bits in red.

Thanks Glenn you've made me feel old!

Neat - don't often see them this clean and tidy. I've probably got specs & dwgs in the handbook somewhere. Use it as a novelty light switch? Or do you have a biggish motor that needs protection? I see yours has the sticky-outy pushbuttony bit on the top but in Shagbite's pic they are on the front, two on each unit. Not sure why that is.

Lucien

You can keep you're mits off it. It is going to be the light switch in my lounge!

was changing some grid lights this morning up Armley...
as it was there were a couple of lift engineers re-commisioning a service lift...
so i was chatting to em as you do (i was working in the same area)....and happened to mention George Ellison stuff that lifts used a lot...
they said it had been just left on the floor in the machinery room after it had been de-commisioned...so i asked em if i could have it and they said take it away.......

Armley as in HMP? Fair play mate it will go well in the collection, a very comprehensive description from Tony, the man certainly knows his stuff. Still prefer Shagbite's picture though, sorry :)

Pints of Boddies were absolutely delightful at the Brewery Tap before the cunoots turned it into a carpark.
Pride of Manchester, Pride of Ballcocks.

Reply to ellison breaker in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net