Discuss Elster A100C generation meter connection in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gadgetfadget

Hi guys & Gals
A dumb question I know but which end do I connect the Inverter to on this meter?
Main or Load? :frown2:

Any help gladly appreciated.

Cheers

Clive

I laughed when I read this!!!!!!!

Not because I am a nasty troll but because it reminded me of my first installation......It all tested really well, I did it over and over, but really struggled to work out why the meter was not working!

I thought it was PV on main side but didn't want to take the chance of doing it all then having to undo it again..... Just waiting for a program to finish recording on Sky then will switch all off and make the final connections. Good thing I have a UPS all hooked up ready to provide light to see what I am doing.

I thought it was PV on main side but didn't want to take the chance of doing it all then having to undo it again..... Just waiting for a program to finish recording on Sky then will switch all off and make the final connections. Good thing I have a UPS all hooked up ready to provide light to see what I am doing.

Do it in the Morning:)

This forum is proving to be a God send for me! I have just finished my 1st install and like others was struggling to work out why the generation meter was not changing. The pin dropped earlier this afternoon but I wanted to check that I was correct and the answer was right here. Thanks all. I am a spark of 28 years, have been running a domestic and commercial business for 17 years near to Gatwick and hope to be able to answer some of your questions when possible.
We have our MCS inspection on 23rd May. Any tips anyone??

why?
what made you come into PV at this point?
I was really suprised yesterday to find both ELECSA and NAPPIT have a 6 week lead time for inspections

Not sure which part the "why" refers to but in answer to the next question, the reason we came into PV now was really to protect our business. I am a firm believer that businesses such as ours cannot ever stand still. We need to move with the times and trends. We have many loyal customers who would come to us if they knew we did it. We also do one off new builds which will have PV, so why not? It's not about making as much money as we can (although that does help) in as short a time as possible, it's about the fact that if we don't do it for them, sooner or later someone else will.
PV will not go away now, admittedly the money isn't what it was but it's here to stay and our industry is heading straight in that direction (IMO)
Not surprised about Napit and Elecsa. We are going the NICEIC route because we have always had full accreditation with them. They originally told us it was a four week wait then changed it to eight. I complained and it came down to three!!
I asked about any tips for the MCS inspection because I guess there are certain procedures that they would want to see or hear that we might not be expecting. Thought this forum was designed to help each other out?

Have a good Sunday.

We do help each other out - I guess it's sensible for you to diversify, but those of us that are well and truly battered by the pv industry struggle to understand why anyone would want to get into the business at the minute. It seems to me that it would be very easy to have pv drag the whole of your business down if you aren't careful, but if you are careful, build slowly (well you won't have an option about that cos there's no work at the minute - 4000 installers and approx 4000 installations in the last month, 1 a month whoopy doo, or if you remove the RAR 1200 paid for installations in a month for 4000 installers 1/3 of a job each for the month and someone stole my 1/3!) then over the next few years it will be a useful string to your bow.

MCS inspection 90% spent on paperwork, 10% on site if you're lucky. Hours and hours of ---- inspection of the most trivial paperwork you can imagine. Make sure every t's is crossed and I is dotted and personally I'd create my own QMS rather than try to adapt someone else's, it's more meaningful in the end and easier to adapt as you go along. Good luck.

Thanks for your honest reply. I can imagine how you must feel when someone like me comes along!
We're not getting into PV with the assumption that we can do lots of installs and make our fortune though. If we can do half a dozen a year it will be worth it. Then, if the green deal makes a difference, or the next government makes some changes, we will be there ready.
I have heard that the paper work side of the inspection is heavy. We have created our own QMS but each time I read it I end up changing something. I guess it may always be like that though.
I remember how nervous I was at our 1st NICEIC inspection many years ago, anyone remember Stuart Littlemore? When I heard that he was our area assessor I thought we were done for. He turned out to be a nice guy who really knew his stuff. Hopefully this might be the same.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

Clive

Agree with SRE, just double check everything is in order, be able to demonstrate structual calcs, have all your proceedures in place, just the usual stuff, do a search on this forum loads of info on here about non conforms.

If your lucky you will then get selected for a REAL inspection like me with in weeks of joining.

Lastly enjoy the 10 emails aday from suppliers ramming price lists down your throat once on the MCS database.

It certainly makes sense if you have an established customers base woh may be interested and it keeps the competition out of your patch.
I reckon you need at least 6 a year to cover the basic costs of time and money for registration and paperwork.

Reply to Elster A100C generation meter connection in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net