Discuss ELV lighting fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amplifiedthunda

Hi I am currently training to be an electrician but am only part qualified at the min.

A friend of mine has asked me to fix some ELV downlights in his kitchen. Apparently when he switches them on sometimes it can take up to 10 mins for the lights to actually come on other times it can be a few seconds but always a delay.

I have not actually been to look at them yet but I know they're old. I suspect I am likely to find either a loose connection or faulty transformer.

Can anyone tell me if my expectations are correct or is there likely to be a different cause of the fault ?

Thanks

take each one down, one at a time. check the lampholders, cable, and connections for signs of overheating, melted choc blocks, black pins on the lamps, next stage is testing circuit, switches, dimmers etc.

and after all that ^^^^^ suggest changing them all to GU10 fittings with led lamps as they should last forever with no problems and no transformers to change

and after all that ^^^^^ suggest changing them all to GU10 fittings with led lamps as they should last forever with no problems and no transformers to change

im the process of persuading a client to do that. he's got about 60 of the buggers, 50watt MR16s connected with unenclosed choc blocks with fibreglass all over the place.

i know its murder , trying to explain that yes it may cost them at the time but the money saved on transformers , lamps , lamp holders elec bill and time changing lamps every week , they pay for them self in the end , and they wont set ur house on fire , but you just get the blank stare and i will just keep the ones i have thanks

Be careful when carrying out work for a "friend" when only part-qualified. I'm assuming that you have no public liability insurance if something were to go wrong (God forbid) after you've worked on the system.
Also, do you have the test gear/knowledge to make sure that everything checks out ok, or will you be trying different things until it works?

I have a fluke testing kit and am pretty confident I can perform the tests correctly. You would be correct in assuming I have no insurance but hes a good mate I used to live with him previously and I have prevented his house from burning down in the past lol

never the less I will be very careful

if you are going to do these small jobs regularly, get PL insurance. only about £60 for the year.

I have a fluke testing kit and am pretty confident I can perform the tests correctly. You would be correct in assuming I have no insurance but hes a good mate I used to live with him previously and I have prevented his house from burning down in the past lol

never the less I will be very careful
I'm not doubting your friendship, but if something were to happen, his insurance Company will be seeking compensation from you (or your insurance Company), and won't care if you are good mates.

even if you make a mistake that's not electrical, like cutting into a c/h pipe when cutting floorboards, mates or not, he'll expect you to pay for the damage. and you know what plumbers charge.

Some great advice here OP! ;)

I'm not doubting your friendship, but if something were to happen, his insurance Company will be seeking compensation from you (or your insurance Company), and won't care if you are good mates.

even if you make a mistake that's not electrical, like cutting into a c/h pipe when cutting floorboards, mates or not, he'll expect you to pay for the damage. and you know what plumbers charge.

Reply to ELV lighting fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net