Discuss em lighting and fire alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

D.C.E.S

Hello all.

I have recently registered with the NICEIC and have been asked to price some emergency lighting and fire alarms in some hmo's.
I am ok with the em lighting but I have only ever installed the wiring fire alarms for a firm I used to work for and connected the bases.
I could do with some advice on panels , what systems to use and advice on comissioning.

Thanks in advance.

David

depends what the customer wants, theres 2 types of fire alarm. Conventional and addressable.

Addressable being the expensive but most common option in bigger premises. When faults or smoke/heat is detected it will tell you the location of it. kentec panels coupled with hochiki detectors and call points is what i've installed. With addressable you need a laptop with the correct leads, otherwise be prepared to spend a huge amount of time entering the data via the panel buttons. you'll also need a detector/call point programmer..

Conventional being the cheapest and easiest option, but it will not tell you where the fire is located. It will just sound the alarms... no laptop, no programmer, the easy option for you if you don't have the kit.. the only conventional alarm i've installed is rafiki.. it seems ok. Twinflex 2 Wire | Products | Rafiki Fire Alarm Systems

Also fp200 gold is heaven to terminate;) don't get the fp with foil inside, total pain in the ---...

personally i'd stick with conventional.. its as easy as installing a radial power circuit.. lol.

Last edited:
Hey.

Agree with Aaron. Hochiki is pretty good kit and I'm also a fan of the addressable system, but it is more expensive than a conventional.

Depends on your spec reallly if the contract allows it then it's addressable every time for me but if you think the costs are tight a conventional may be the way to go.

Plenty of info here.

Fire Detection Products World Class Leaders - Hochiki Europe (UK) Ltd

as a fire alarm engineer i would say to go for a conventional fire panel for cheap installs and use APOLLO protocol detectors as they are good for 2nd fixing. with regards to addressible Notifier and Morley panels are sturdy but you have to buy the panels from certified companies.

Just a bit of a word of caution, after going on fire alarm courses there is a lot of legislation concerned with fire alarm systems, should the worst happen then the finger gets pointed. You need to make sure you are fully up to speed with type of alarm system required, life protection, building protection etc etc.

Just a bit of a word of caution, after going on fire alarm courses there is a lot of legislation concerned with fire alarm systems, should the worst happen then the finger gets pointed. You need to make sure you are fully up to speed with type of alarm system required, life protection, building protection etc etc.

Cant agree with you more.

Do you have much experience and enough knowledge to be quoting fire systems.

There are a million and one items to take into account but the few main ones.

Conventional and analouge systems can be a matter of personal choice but dependant on the property size and layout you may only be able to specify one to comply to the regs.

Is there interfacing required?

What is the requierment for DDA?

Can you use FP200 or is it required that you use FP200 Plus because of the height, size, number of staff or phased evacuation? If you do have to use FP200 Plus you then have to use cable fixings to the same rating as the FP200 plus (120min) also if there is a sprinkler system plays a factor in this.

How large are the intended zones do they exceed the maxium size?

What system does the fire risk assessment specify?

Just a few for thought hope this helps any questions ask

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to em lighting and fire alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock