Discuss EM lighting test facility in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
RCBO appropriate test facility for emergency lighting?
I have a car storage facility ( one corridor with 10 rooms off the corridor to store vehicles ).
Planning to install the row of lighting all controlled from occupancy sensors, hoping to wire in one run of 3 core to tie in all sensors lights and emergency bulkheads but then testing the emergency lighting would lose power to the row of lights.

I believe the best practice guide states a suitable test facility for emergency lighting, I believe an rcbo is a suitable means of testing?
In terms of maintaining the normal lighting as the unit is unmanned is this an issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

8.3.3 of BS5266-1 states 'Each emergency lighting system should have suitable means for simulating failure of the normal supply for test purposes (ie without interruption of the normal supply)' so no the rcbo is not suitable.

A key switch mounted above the consumer unit ? seen this done a lot

You need to be able to turn off the permanent supply to the emergency lights without turning off the local lighting this should be done by a key switch also known as fish key .be aware there are a lot of requirements for emergency lights including lux levels, glare and what location they are required.

8.3.3 of BS5266-1 states 'Each emergency lighting system should have suitable means for simulating failure of the normal supply for test purposes (ie without interruption of the normal supply)' so no the rcbo is not suitable.
Hi, thanks. Does this section not say “without interrupting the supply to equipment that would cause a hazard? Or has this wording been updated?

It says exactly as I have quoted it.

BS5266-1.
However you want to word it you need a suitable test facility which does not affect the general lighting.

BS5266-1.
However you want to word it you need a suitable test facility which does not affect the general lighting.
It’s not how I want to word it, it’s how the iet word it. They elaborate to say it’s acceptable to switch off the general lighting as the emergency lighting should be adequate and also ensures emergency luminaires are not accidentally left off.
To be clear I agree key switches should be used and in MOST circumstances the general lighting shouldn’t be effected.
Mainly seeking clarification as the statement “test facility that does not affect the general lighting” and “test facility that doesn’t affect electrical equipment that could cause a hazard” are two completely different statements, they aren’t the same meaning worded differently.

BS5266-1 states ' without interruption of the normal supply'.
How are you misinterpreting that.

You seem to be trying to justify a design that nobody else on the forum would be willing to put their name to.
seriously for the cost saving of using 3 core cable instead of 4 core, why would you do that and have the risk that someone inspecting later points out that it is unsuitable and you have to do it all again?

Reply to EM lighting test facility in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock