Discuss Emergency advise please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Pub kitchen I was doing PAT for, opening at 12 today. They have had to reconfigure where everything sits, so new location for double deep fat fryer is too far away from sockets.

Double fryer is basically 2 x 3kW fryers in one unit… two leads, two plugs.

I’ve told him not to plug both onto same double socket which is nearby… partly 24 amps going through one point, and partly I know the double socket is a spur, and one socket on it is powering the extraction fan.

So, just for this weekend, a suitable extension lead is needed to run one half of the fryer.
No one nearby stocks plugs and sockets to make up my own, so I saw this. Will probably shorten it, 3m at most needed.

Do you think this will last long with a 3kW load on the end?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/masterplug-13a-1-gang-unswitched-extension-lead-10m/44635

At short notice it is probably your best bet and should last long enough to get something more permanent sorted.

I guess only other thought is to make sure the plugs are clean and maybe inserted/removed a couple of times before use to clear any tarnishing, etc. Same for lead in to wall socket.

Pub kitchen I was doing PAT for, opening at 12 today. They have had to reconfigure where everything sits, so new location for double deep fat fryer is too far away from sockets.

Double fryer is basically 2 x 3kW fryers in one unit… two leads, two plugs.

I’ve told him not to plug both onto same double socket which is nearby… partly 24 amps going through one point, and partly I know the double socket is a spur, and one socket on it is powering the extraction fan.

So, just for this weekend, a suitable extension lead is needed to run one half of the fryer.
No one nearby stocks plugs and sockets to make up my own, so I saw this. Will probably shorten it, 3m at most needed.

Do you think this will last long with a 3kW load on the end?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/masterplug-13a-1-gang-unswitched-extension-lead-10m/44635
It is technically rated at 3.1kW, but in my view kit like this never really stands up to its supposed rating for too long.

Should last until you get a proper radial for 6kW though.

There was an unused 32A radial that was marked cooker, but had a double socket on it. I’ve already extended it to supply his 25A dishwasher. Would have been perfect.

Now he’s bringing out more and more appliances, I’m worried about the rfc.

Double fryer
Extraction
Microwave
Grill
Fridge
Hand mixer
Bowl mixer
Fly killer

All on top of an existing coffee machine, kettle, warming plate……

Opening at 12 today…. Closing at 12:15!

If you are around during that time maybe you can leave a clamp meter on the supply (one of the tails probably a safe place to leave it) and see how much the whole lot pulls.

If you are around during that time maybe you can leave a clamp meter on the supply (one of the tails probably a safe place to leave it) and see how much the whole lot pulls.
Just watch how fast the meter spins!

I might hang around actually, just to bag a bacon roll or whatever…

This is very typical in kitchens. There is no doubt the sockets will have a melt down dependant on how much frying they are doing. Perhaps they could only use one fryer? Two extension leads to different sockets perhaps? Often the kitchen people just add equipment as needed and far exceed even the main fuse. There is usually the problem of oil everywhere as well.

They could turn one fryer on, once it is up to temperature then turn the other one on... Once the fryer is at the required temperature I would presume the heating element would come on and off intermittently so would not be a prolonged load..

Its like a looped supply by the DNO's, the rely on the two houses not using high loads for a sustained period, which is why when fitting EV charger they need to get unlooped.

This is very typical in kitchens. There is no doubt the sockets will have a melt down dependant on how much frying they are doing. Perhaps they could only use one fryer? Two extension leads to different sockets perhaps? Often the kitchen people just add equipment as needed and far exceed even the main fuse. There is usually the problem of oil everywhere as well.
Oh yes… I knew it was going to be a mare of a job… but you turn up to do PAT, and then get asked to do another wee job, then another….

I’ve mentioned to the customer ( in writing!) the lack of heat detector in the kitchen… (there is a wired aico base, just no detector) and the proximity of the only working smoke detector in the hallway… no door to kitchen, smokie right at the door. Cue nuisance alarms and smoke detector removed as well…

My customer is renting the kitchen from the pub, so we need the pub owners permission to do anything with the fixed wiring…. Which includes replacing the detectors.

I said it on another thread… pubs are awful to work in.

Ok… turns out his dishwasher doesn’t work.

Passed on PAT, but the pumps aren’t running inside during the wash programme.
He’s either going to get it fixed, or if cheaper, buy another one.

If he gets a lesser powered one on a 13A plug, he can use the double socket, and I’ll change the isolator I fitted for the dw into 2 single sockets for both fryers

On top of that, the only food delivery he’s had this morning is for fish…. No meat, no veg, no breads….

I’ve mentioned to the customer ( in writing!) the lack of heat detector in the kitchen… (there is a wired aico base, just no detector) and the proximity of the only working smoke detector in the hallway… no door to kitchen, smokie right at the door. Cue nuisance alarms and smoke detector removed as well…
Domestic fire detectors have no place in a commercial premises IMO

Um… I’m the OP, and I didn’t mention any BS numbers… just that the aico detectors were missing.

I’ve advised the customer of the lack of fire detection. He’ll take it to the owner of the pub that he’s renting the kitchen from, and it’ll be up to them to update or upgrade as they need….

I don’t know how they got a drinks license in the first place without adequate fire detection.

They may be referring to the call point (Category A, See 11.1 of 5839-1) instead of Category A of 5839-6, which would make a bit more sense and could just be the OP using the wrong terminology?

Grade A of 5839-6 refers to a fire alarm system with a central panel and backup supply. That's all I meant by it, I was clumsily asking if UNG if that's what he thought the minimum standard for fire detection in commercial premises was since he was saying that the self contained aico detectors had no place. I don't have any knowledge of 5839-1 and what it says on the subject. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to Emergency advise please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net