Discuss Emergency! Help needed - 3-phase meter install in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help with a bit of an urgent situation I'm in! I've just opened a new bar/restaurant after a lengthy refurb. Previously, the venue ran of a single-phase meter.

The refurbishments have been extensive and with all the equipment we've installed (ventilation, air conditioners, beer chillers & dispensers, etc) we have quite a few things that require 3-phase power. I arranged with my supplier to do a meter swap today ready for opening to the public. The electricians on the job had everything ready for this, literally just need to swap the meter over to a new 3-phase meter and all should be fine. Somewhere along the line, however, there has been a miscommunication with my electricity supplier (British Gas Lite). They turned up today and fitted a single-phase smart meter. The installer said that that was what was on his job sheet and couldn't tell me any more. I contacted British Gas Lite (several times) and the bottom line is that they refuse to swap out a single phase meter for a 3-phase. They will only do like-for-like. So now I'm stuck! Tonight we are open and it's boiling hot - desperately need air con to be on.

Any suggestions welcome on solutions to this. Can I get a 3rd party to install a 3-phase meter and still be on my British Gas Lite contract? Or do I need to try to get out of my contract and find a new supplier?? I'm concerned that if the latter, it's going to take weeks to get done.

Any help really appreciated!!

Will

Sorry the answer no only your supplier can change the meter .
You need to speak to them again and tell them what you want .is their a 3 phase in or single .looking at your post thier must be single phase in

Can you send a photo of the incoming power supply. That's the incoming cable and the fuse (s) that are on the end of it.

Yes, certainly can tomorrow when I'm back in the venue. Will post when I have it.

I'm not particularly electric-savvy, however my electricians were saying today that everything has been updated with a new Ryfield board and that the 3-phase supply is all good to go, with just the meter install the final hurdle.

Took me over 6 months and 4 visits with British Gas to get a 3 phase meter removed and 3 x single phase installed. Very simple job.
Being polite, they are a pain to deal with / totally incompetent. Most of their meter fitters are not '3 phase qualified' which doesn't help.
I would threaten reporting to the regulator and see if that gets any movement

All i can suggest is get on the phone and escalate it as high as you can, make sure you say it's a formal complaint etc. You basically need someone to put their neck out and treat it as an emergency. Given how much losses you'll be suffering it's worth staying on the phone until they promise to do it asap.
Big companies have their procedures and there will only be one person with the power to bypass the procedure. Unfortunately a lot of the employees will be blinded by the process and will just fob you off or just say they are doing what they're told. Even at the complaints level it's hard to find someone who can think for themselves.

You can change your supplier. Personally I might connect up the three phase without a meter and inform the energy supplier I have done so. Explain to them this supply is vital to business and if they do not care to meter the other two phases then that is their problem. Possibly get it in writing. You could fit your own three phase meter and have a least a reference as to how much electricity you have used in the interim while you change suppliers. This would obviate extortionate estimated claims and at the same time demonstrate you have no criminal intention regards the abstraction of electricity.

Back to the begining for a moment.

Was the Restaurant originally a single phase supply with a single phase meter?
And has it now had a new 3 phase supply installed?

Or did it have a 3 phase supply with 2 phases unused and a single meter on 1 phase?

If the latter, has an application been made to the local D.N.O for a 3 phase supply and have they given approval?
It can't just be assumed that because the other 2 phases are live that the local network can take any load on them.
The supplier, B.G Lite would need to have sight of that approval before they fit a 3phase meter.
The main electrical contractor should have discussed this at the planning stage.

I don't beleive BGL would get involved in the application for a 3phase supply.
If the original request to them was for a 3ph meter and they only had record of a single phase supply, that's all they can fit.
No other supplier would be able to fit a 3 ph meter.

20181107-092653-01.jpg

Reply to Emergency! Help needed - 3-phase meter install in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net