Discuss Emergency Light testing and repairs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about testing and maintenance of emergency lights.

1. I have been told that if the LED on an emergency light does not work it must be considered “Failed” and the fitting replaced, but when reading up, I cannot find any regulations or guidance to suggest this is correct. The documentation only talks about emergency lights working once power has been cut. Can anyone help?
  2. All lights work in maintained mode. Some lights need new batteries, but there are some lights that do not come on at all when the power is cut (LED indicates battery is charging).
    Is it best to try replacement batteries in these lights?
    Or, should I replace the emergency module as well as the battery?
  3. Any advice or experience would be welcomed.
Regards

Not too well up on current requirements but this is what I believe to be the case:
If the charge LED does not work then there is no way to confirm the light is charging, the easiest resolution is to replace the LED, not the fitting.
However I am not sure that it is essential to have the LED but charging should be able to be confirmed so that a faulty light can be replaced.

If the indicator light shows the batteries are charging and then the fitting does not illuminate on power failure it is likely it is just the batteries (or possibly just the battery connection). This is assuming that the lights are lit when the power is on.

If lights don't work it's a fail with me. New fitting or new batteries or bulbs. Just do your best mate

1. The led actually shows voltage is present at the charging circuit, and is no idication that the battery is charging. If there is no led lite, there is a good chance the batteries have gone, and either taken the charging fuse or charging circuit.....So answer is investigate or replace.
2. Again investigation time, these days a new fitting is more cost effective.
3. Hope the above helped

Reply to Emergency Light testing and repairs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock