Discuss Emergency light wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First year apprentice here, want to put a non maintained emergency light in where the consumer unit is going onto the lighting circuit for the new kitchen we’re doing with a switch too, would I do this by coming from breaker to emergency light fitting as this is the closest with L-N-E then out to my next light or switch with L-N-E this will go straight to kitchen lights, then PL-SL-E from emergency fitting to switch so my PL will go into COM on switch and SL into either L1 or L2, so we have option to turn it on and off or will come on if that circuits trips so customer can see
Thanks

usually PL to L. SL to L1. similar to a timer fan. the terminal ID may be different to above. see MI.

Write the date on the battery as well, also quite handy to have it written near the DB. The amount of EM faults I've been to in the past which have been duff batteries but I have no idea of when they were installed.

If you want to be able to switch it on manually then the light fitting should normally be a (switched) maintained fitting.
Non maintained light fittings may only have a permanent line connection to charge the battery and not have a terminal for switching the light manually.
If you are putting an emergency light near the consumer unit to light up the CU if the local light circuit fails, or to be switched on if required, it may be simpler to just run a PL,N,E out to the nearby switch and take PL, SL, N, E to the emergency light fitting. Then wire the rest of the local lighting as normal from the same circuit breaker. This then allows the EM light to be easily removed if required without affecting the normal lighting. Though local installation conditions may mean this is impractical.

Normally I take PL to the common of a switch, link across to a test facility which switches the PL to the fitting for routine test purposes then from the normal switch to the switched live at the fitting.

If you want to be able to switch it on manually then the light fitting should normally be a (switched) maintained fitting.
Non maintained light fittings may only have a permanent line connection to charge the battery and not have a terminal for switching the light manually.
If you are putting an emergency light near the consumer unit to light up the CU if the local light circuit fails, or to be switched on if required, it may be simpler to just run a PL,N,E out to the nearby switch and take PL, SL, N, E to the emergency light fitting. Then wire the rest of the local lighting as normal from the same circuit breaker. This then allows the EM light to be easily removed if required without affecting the normal lighting. Though local installation conditions may mean this is impractical.
Thanks good idea never thought of that, think I’ll just go with my way on this or what ever my boss says as I doubt it will ever be removed but I understand what you mean thanks for that

Normally I take PL to the common of a switch, link across to a test facility which switches the PL to the fitting for routine test purposes then from the normal switch to the switched live at the fitting.
Thanks I’ve only seen feed to one way switch link com to L in on key switch then PL from key switch to maintained emergency and SL from one way to normal fitting think that’s cause there was maintained emergency lights and normal lights

Bradley, if you put a question up on multiple forums, you'll get confusing and contradictory advice. As others will not have seen replies in "the other place".
Emergency light
I suggest, in future, that you stick to the best informed forum. This one!

Thanks I’ve only seen feed to one way switch link com to L in on key switch then PL from key switch to maintained emergency and SL from one way to normal fitting think that’s cause there was maintained emergency lights and normal lights
That is what I said.

Reply to Emergency light wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net