Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Emergency light wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I’m replacing emergency light fittings which have three terminals L-N-E, with new fittings which have four terminals (permanent live, switch live, neutral and earth). I only have a switch live going to these lights which is from distribution board to light switch then to these lights. Will these lights need re-wiring so that there is a permanent live to the fittings. As otherwise the switch will have to stay on so the batteries get charged.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Sintra

Admin
Supporter
Surely the existing fittings can’t be emergency without a permanent feed.
Post automatically merged:

You could change the switch to a key switch that will give you a permanent feed and can also be used for testing the fittings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Surprisingly they are, they were reported as failures. That’s why im replacing them. I’m assuming the batteries were only getting charged when the light switch was on which is why these lights kept failing.

You could change the switch to a key switch that will give you a permanent feed and can also be used for testing the fittings.
there is already test key switches there, I was thinking of connector blocking the conductors in the light switch

This isn't uncommon for someone to incorrectly connect them so the permanent supply is isolated by the general lighting switch. Sometimes it's an easy fix depending on how they are wired sometimes an amount of rewiring is necessary with the installation of a suitable test facility. It maybe sometimes a better solution to look at the existing general lighting to see if there is a permanent live present and replace those with em fittings, a bit of investigation is required.

Reply to Emergency light wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Top Bottom