Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Emergency Lighting contactor switch over in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Everyone.

Working on a self contained emergency lighting system.

There are 70 emergency lights over 3 floors.

The emergencies are wired on a separate circuit from the local lights but fed from the same DB.

I require the supply for the self contained (batt back up) lights to disconnect, when theres a disruption to the local lighting circuit.

My plan is to achieve this switch over with X 2 20A, 2 pole contactors with 240V coils (one for local lighting, one for emergency lighting)

Can I supply the contactor control circuit from the local lighting circuit, so when it trips/fails it opens my contactors & cuts power to my emergencies, bringing the batteries into action.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
You could, but why not just move the emergency circuit to the same circuit breaker as the local lights? You could put a test switch next to the dB.

Surely the emergency lighting covers more than one general lighting circuit per floor. Swap them all for maintained.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
That's not a good idea, the contactor will be energised near 24/7 so will burn out pretty quick.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Hi Everyone.

Working on a self contained emergency lighting system.

There are 70 emergency lights over 3 floors.

The emergencies are wired on a separate circuit from the local lights but fed from the same DB.

I require the supply for the self contained (batt back up) lights to disconnect, when theres a disruption to the local lighting circuit.

My plan is to achieve this switch over with X 2 20A, 2 pole contactors with 240V coils (one for local lighting, one for emergency lighting)

Can I supply the contactor control circuit from the local lighting circuit, so when it trips/fails it opens my contactors & cuts power to my emergencies, bringing the batteries into action.
Dell you could do just by adding one 2 pole relay 1- NO 1-NC contacts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could, but why not just move the emergency circuit to the same circuit breaker as the local lights? You could put a test switch next to the dB.
Max Zs would be breached. They are large circuits

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Emergency Lighting contactor switch over in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom