Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Emergency Lighting contactor switch over in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Everyone.

Working on a self contained emergency lighting system.

There are 70 emergency lights over 3 floors.

The emergencies are wired on a separate circuit from the local lights but fed from the same DB.

I require the supply for the self contained (batt back up) lights to disconnect, when theres a disruption to the local lighting circuit.

My plan is to achieve this switch over with X 2 20A, 2 pole contactors with 240V coils (one for local lighting, one for emergency lighting)

Can I supply the contactor control circuit from the local lighting circuit, so when it trips/fails it opens my contactors & cuts power to my emergencies, bringing the batteries into action.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
You could, but why not just move the emergency circuit to the same circuit breaker as the local lights? You could put a test switch next to the dB.

Surely the emergency lighting covers more than one general lighting circuit per floor. Swap them all for maintained.

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
That's not a good idea, the contactor will be energised near 24/7 so will burn out pretty quick.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Hi Everyone.

Working on a self contained emergency lighting system.

There are 70 emergency lights over 3 floors.

The emergencies are wired on a separate circuit from the local lights but fed from the same DB.

I require the supply for the self contained (batt back up) lights to disconnect, when theres a disruption to the local lighting circuit.

My plan is to achieve this switch over with X 2 20A, 2 pole contactors with 240V coils (one for local lighting, one for emergency lighting)

Can I supply the contactor control circuit from the local lighting circuit, so when it trips/fails it opens my contactors & cuts power to my emergencies, bringing the batteries into action.
Dell you could do just by adding one 2 pole relay 1- NO 1-NC contacts

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Emergency Lighting contactor switch over in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom