Discuss Emergency Lighting Design in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

industryspark

Hi

Would appreciatte some advise and pointers on the following.

Im an industrial sparks who has been tasked with fitting some emergency lighting in a factory im responsible for. The emergency lights that are required first are exit lights that go above the fire exit doors. We have been provided with these units (they are Thorn E3M bulkheads) which are a maintained self contained fitting and it is desired that these are used.

I have ordered a copy of BS5266 as it looks kind of essential im familiar with it as my experience of emergency lighting circuits is limited. I would therefore appreciatte some comments on the following questions

1, There are several lighting circuits throughout the factory (which has different workshops), the emergency lights in each area will be powered from the lighting circuit for that particular workshop.....this seems to be how it should be done. Im not familiar with the circuit design however.....the Bulkhead fittings have 4 terminals, E,N,L1 and L. L1 and L have a removable link already fitted between them.......what is the purpose of this and how should the circuit be wired for these maintained self contained fittings? Where do the two line conductors 'come from'?

2, Should the emergency lights remain on even when the normal lights are shut off (at night for example)? If so then they will have to be wired into the normal lighting circuit 'before' the functional switch??

3, Does each fitting need its own test switch or would 1 test switch be ok for all that workshops fittings?

Regards

I-spark

First thing, the terminal markings,
L - PERMANENT LIVE TO CHARGE BATTERY
L1- SWITCHED LIVE TO SWITCH LAMP ON AND OFF WHERE NECESSARY

If power fails then supply to L will be interrupted and fitting will illuminate from battery power.

you can have 1 key switch to operate all emergency lights on 1 circuit.

You will therefore need to have a key switch for each lighting circuit your em fittings are on.

If all your lighting circuits are from 1 cu then you could in theory have one switch to test all but it would mean using relays.

On regulations side, you don't need a key switch at each light fitting but you do need to facilitate for testing of these units which after assessment might deem it necessary to put them on certain individual fittings.

N/M fittings do not need to be illuminated when all other non EM fittings have been denenergised.

I have ordered a copy of BS5266 [/QUOTE]

Manufaturers website will have a guide that will probably be easier to understand and will also have photometric data for spacings of fittings if required.

Thanks for the input guys, beginning to see how it should be wired
And ive just recieved my copy of 5266 which looks like light reading!

Further question, the fittings i have can be switched on and off (once the link is removed) or they come on upon complete circuit failure. They have to be incorparated into the existing lighting circuits. Can the EL's just have there own 'functiobal' switch at the side of the normal light switches or does the normal light switch have to bring on the EL's with the normal lighting. I ask because, if its the latter i cant see a way of doing it with the need for test switches and the permanent live.

Regards

thanks telectrixwould i be correct in thinking that with your drawing the keyswitch when permanently closed will supply the battery of the EL with power and the functional switch will then control when you want the normal lights AND emergency lights on? Arent both the permanent live and switched live for the EL meant to go through the keyswitch?Ideally i want to be able to turn off the ELs from the same switch as the normal lights ( at night for example) yet retain the ability to test the ELs whilst the normals are on.....is this possible (or even necesary)?Regards

using a D/P keyswitch, you could use the 2nd pole to feed the S/L to the EM. the drawing was a bit of an experiment as i've just installed visio and am having a play with it, finding out how to post it on here. had to convert to pdf to do it.

Why would you want to switch the exit signs with the normal lighting,just wire them threw a key switch and either have them permanently lit leaving the link in or remove the link and have as non maintained only illuminating when you operate key switch

Fire Service often insist that em. exit signs are maintained. a consultation with local fire officer is a good idea before starting.

and replace the lamps every couple of weeks. i'd use LED fittings if maintained.

I guess theres no way round the changing of lamps if they are to be permanently on,if the fire service want them to be on all the time then unfortunately changing the lamps is just something that comes with it,unless as you say using led maintained fittings but at extra cost im guessing initially

the LED fittings aren't all that more considering you'd save the difference on the first lamp change.

Cheers guys

The problem is that the fittings were aquired before i even knew about the job.....there's about 40 of them to wire in at various locations!! So its looking like it'l have to be these maintained fittings. The reason for wanting them to come on with normal lighting is so the exit points are clearly marked (thats in the remit for the job).

But it is desirable for the owner that they be turned off at night when the building is empty.

which is why the wiring for them is proving a little tricky!

Regards

Varilight Z2DG201DKW 20A Double Pole Key Switch White | NoLinkingToThis

use 1 pole for the perm. L, and the other for the switched L. then when you operate the keyswitch, both feeds to the EM will be cut.

Telectrix im relatively new in the electrical game so im keen to learn everything my brain will cram in.
when you say use a 20 amp double pole key switch do you mean that that switched live and perm will come from the normal light switch next to it and as long as the key switch is closed it will work threw that,if that makes any sense mate.
Only reason i ask is because the op says he wanted to switch the em/lights with the normal lights at the switch

Reply to Emergency Lighting Design in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net