Discuss Emergency lighting for a beginner in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
could someone please post a diagram for a 2-way keyswitch operated emergency lighting circuit.
Circuit includes one emergency light and 3 normal lights
Thanks in advance

looks like you have a N through the keyswitch ( D/P?) into the top manual switch which appears to be a D/P switch, not a 2 way.

You are approaching the right wiring but there are still a few areas that need attention.
You are drawing a set of four lights that are two way switched.
However in your original post you wanted a two way key switch, in general two way switching for normal lighting is not integrated into the key switch. So it would be useful to know which method is required.
Key switches tend to be available as either double pole or two way, but usually do not use the two way function of the switch for emergency lighting.

Assuming you want two way switched lights and one emergency light with a separate key switch for testing:
The Emergency light needs a permanent line; this line needs to be broken by the key switch, however it cannot break the neutral to the other lights or they would stop working during the test, which is not recommended.

The neutral is not involved in the two way switching or the key switch.
Perhaps if you were to work out the wiring so that the neutral is not switched at any point and the key switch only switches the permanent line to the EM light.
Also check the type of switch you would use to provide normal two way switching for the lights and use that switch in both two way switching locations.
You have the correct switch at the top of your diagram labelled 2-Way SW.

You are approaching the right wiring but there are still a few areas that need attention.
You are drawing a set of four lights that are two way switched.
However in your original post you wanted a two way key switch, in general two way switching for normal lighting is not integrated into the key switch. So it would be useful to know which method is required.
Key switches tend to be available as either double pole or two way, but usually do not use the two way function of the switch for emergency lighting.

Assuming you want two way switched lights and one emergency light with a separate key switch for testing:
The Emergency light needs a permanent line; this line needs to be broken by the key switch, however it cannot break the neutral to the other lights or they would stop working during the test, which is not recommended.

The neutral is not involved in the two way switching or the key switch.
Perhaps if you were to work out the wiring so that the neutral is not switched at any point and the key switch only switches the permanent line to the EM light.
Also check the type of switch you would use to provide normal two way switching for the lights and use that switch in both two way switching locations.
You have the correct switch at the top of your diagram labelled 2-Way SW.

But I’ve drawn in the PL to the emergency light?
So what should I do with the neutral then? Obviously not put it thru the keyswitch then

correct.do not switch the N.no need for it. use wagos.

No reason not to use a double pole test facility it makes no difference.
but then by flipping the keyswitch, he loses the N to the "normal" lights..... dark side. the force is strong.

I think OP wants a 2 way circuit with 3 lights, plus an emergency light Ona key switch from the same circuit.

Moggy, we can’t do your homework for you... post a diagram of what you think it should be and we will tell you if you’re on the right lines.
Not drawn very well I know

View attachment 46752
Not drawn very well I know

View attachment 46752
MyWay - https://int.search.myway.com/search/video.jhtml?enc=0&n=78497c7c&p2=%5EBZC%5Exdm161%5ETTAB02%5Egb&pg=video&pn=1&ptb=D20FAD4F-0F28-43A1-83A5-F41AE8DF20A2&qs=&searchfor=Key+Operated+Switches+and+Emergency+Lighting+YouTube&si=&ss=sub&st=tab&tpr=sbt&trs=wtt
This may help the OP, at least I hope it does.

If you were to replace the greyed out section of your wiring with the added section, try and follow how the wiring would work for both the emergency light when the key switch is operated and for when the light switch is operated.
This version uses only one pole of the double pole key switch to avoid the possibility of having a light supplied by a line conductor but having no neutral conductor, not a recommended practice.
Emergency light four lights one emergency.jpg

Reply to Emergency lighting for a beginner in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net