Discuss Emergency lighting in hotel, need help! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi everybody, Im used to installing on domestic property and dont usually install emergency lights or fire alarms in hotels so this is slightly new to me. Im working with a diyer who has just taken over an old hotel and he has asked me to do the electrics, im fine with sockets showers, lights ect but he has also asked me to do the em lights too.

basically im just looking for a bit of advice, iv been doing my research and now just need some clarification.

here is the first floor ( will be used by guests and staff)couldnt add a link so added it in the attachments

here is the second floor ( will only really be used by guests) couldnt add a link so added it in the attachments

here is the third floor ( will only be used by the ower) couldnt add a link so added it in the attachments

my questions are:

1. does the emergency lighting need to be on a separate mcb or with the lighting?
2. in the diagrams is there enough emergency lighting provided ( if not, please could you tell me which rooms according to the diagrams need to be changed or please could you download the image and draw lines in 'paint' to represent the light and show me where else the lights would need to be placed)

i will most likely be using non maintained lights and wont be commissioning it myself

thank you in advance, i know this is a lot to ask but i would really appreciate any feedback :)

floor1.1.fw.jpgfloor2.2.fw.jpgfloor3.3.fw.jpg

You need more lighting on escape routes, at least 2 fittings per section, the guest rooms and on-suites dont require em lighting, rooms over 60m2 need emg li to .5 lux, escape routes to 1lux, also EL within 2 meters of call points, non illuminated directional signs, first aid points, plant room, main toilets and disabled toilets, and external final exit points, fire panels

Also you need direction signs through out the escape route

For lux values you need spacing tables from manufacturer of lights your using

Get the locations of the fire alarm points on drawing then adjust accordingly

Em lighting needs to be supplied from the local lighting circuit

Mate please do not be offended but get an electrician in, you were asking questions about 4 showers yesterday and now want to know if emergency lights have to be on their own circuit, I worry about what your doing to that hotel there.

Use you’re imagination, you can fit as many imaginary showers and imaginary EM lights in you’re fictitious imaginary hotel.
Can’t wait to hear about the sun beds, sauna, steam room, swimming pool et al.
You may need to upgrade to a 105A fuse in the service head!

The point though Grantr is the worry here if genuine, the OP has asked 2 very serious questions about a Hotel now over 2 threads which are questions that are not usually asked, if you need to ask them then you shouldn't be carrying out the works, a Hotel is a serious installation, it needs proper thought and consideration, the design of the actual mains and distribution is a major worry here and now we are being asked if a seperate circuit required for emergency lighting, again I would suggest to the OP he or she contact an electrician, a chat with the local electricity provider will need to be addressed as well

Reply to Emergency lighting in hotel, need help! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net