Discuss Emergency Lighting Periodic Inspection Cert (BS 5266)-Do I need to issue one? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jak_jones

Hi Everyone
I am a time served electrician now doing a caretaker/facilities manager role in a 6 Floor Office building which is mostly occupied by NHS employees. The building was built in the 60s so is quite old but everything has been kept up to date by the fella I work for. I have been in the role just over 2 years and when I started he asked me if I would do the EL testing (monthly/annual etc). The property services manager has just recently changed and as part of the compliance she is asking me for the above certificate. From what I have read this is only a completion/alteration cert so what should I be issuing her with?. She already has a copy of the logs which I make for the tests. Does the EL installation need rechecking to see if it meets up to date standards? Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Jak :D

I always recommend to my clients the annual test is a full duration Emergency lighting test AND inspection. Lets face it the regs change so often (so BSI can fill their pockets), its only prudent to check the systems compliance with current standards. Not sure that it is legislation but I expect the driving factors will likely be NHS procedures/insurance companies/CQC requirements..

As to any building, the installation itself will form part of the 5 year inspection.....as for your testing of EM operation, a BS5266 inspection and periodic test certificate should be issued, along with your log of weekly, and annual discharge tests...I would suggest you logs indicate lights by number and location for ease of replacement. A simple checklist for weekly test (on/off) ok /fail, plus 6 monthly 30min test and annually 3 hour test..............Personally, I would like to see the old regs back, with 3 x 30 min test and 1 x 3 hour tests per year. As this would save a lot of replacements, due to battery memory effect.

Hi Spud1, Taz
Thanks for the replies, I have looked at the periodic inspection sheet and it indicates that I should be doing a lumen test at the centre of each staircase/escape route?. Surely I shouldn't have to be going to these lengths if it's an existing installation and hasn't been altered while I've been maintaining it?. I already log the monthly and annually test results so should I just be doing a visual inspection and marking the lights that I maintain on the test sheet?. The 5 year periodic test was done 6 months ago so I know that the circuits have been checked to BS 7671:2008 but I didn't do this so what I'm asking is if I issue the emergency periodic test cert can I be held responsible if a fault on the circuit causes a fire etc.

Thanks for your time again

Cheers

Jak

You are only testing the function of the EM light, the electrical contractor is testing the circuit for safety, under his 5 year inspection/test. The light level test is really on done on commissioning when first installed, or on a take over. But if its requested by you company, then it will certainly do no harm to ensure all levels are met.

You are only testing the function of the EM light, the electrical contractor is testing the circuit for safety, under his 5 year inspection/test. The light level test is really on done on commissioning when first installed, or on a take over. But if its requested by you company, then it will certainly do no harm to ensure all levels are met.

Thanks for the reply tazz much appreciated :icon14:

Cheers

Jak

Reply to Emergency Lighting Periodic Inspection Cert (BS 5266)-Do I need to issue one? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net