Discuss Emergency lighting question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im currently carrying out a insoection on the emergency lighting within a public building (Town Hall) and although Im comfident with everything else, one particular area has got me questioning myself.

All the main exit routes are correctly illuminated but a have one small enclosed area which is not covered......

the main emergency exit is via a long corridor with all the required lighting, but off that corridors is two seperate doors leading to Male and female seperate WC's.

BUT between this corridor and the WC's, each WC has a small area between two doors approx 1m x 1.2m. Ie, when leaving the WC's there is a small area between the two doors before you re-enter the corridor, plunged into darkness in the event of mains failure. Each of the doors have a self closure on them too, meaning it is completely dark between the doors.

There is no change in direction and both areas (WC and corridor) have emergency lighting, but I cannot really find a definitive answer as to wherever this area needs to be illuminated by additional emergency lighting.

Am I suffering brain fade, or does this dark area need to be illuminated? If so, what clause/deviation is this for my report?

Ah, the intervening airspace.
Passing through those, invariably one of the doors is open, especially the size you refer to.
I wouldn't worry about it.

That is my intial thought, although having just walked it and realising I am searching for the door handle in the dark (both doors do tend to close behind you) then I just want to cover myself...
Aslong as its not breaking the regs, im not going to worry about it.

I would have assumed that who ever installed/designed would have carried out the risk assessment and installed what was required, you are not installing only inspecting/testing the installation, so i wouldn't be to concerned unless they fail the tests or have they asked you to see if it is all complying ?

BS 5266
and from a Local Authority spec,

Required in;

Small spaces;

Windowless rooms and toilet accommodation exceeding 8m².

Basically if you can fall over in the space and touch a wall it doesn't need it.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have it, especialy if the occupants are less abled.

Thanks for the information guys.
The emergency lighting was originally designed and installed 25 yrs ago, and although fittings have been changed, it hasnt had a full test and report in all that time. hence why i was questioning the design and considering design recommendations on my report.

Reply to Emergency lighting question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net