Discuss Emergency lighting test issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Went to a job this afternoon where customer had carried out emergency lighting test and the key switch wasn’t killing the feed. Found jb where switch broke the feed, or was supposed to and all looked ok except continuity across feed and switched feed regardless of what position key switch was in. Disconnected switch to buzz across it and check that it was actually switching which it was, put it back together then it seemed to work again. Buggered off to do another job then came back to check if it was still working, and it wasn’t.

been told nobody has touched or changed anything other than they had water coming through after heavy rain and gutter issue. Anyone got any ideas?

Went to a job this afternoon where customer had carried out emergency lighting test and the key switch wasn’t killing the feed. Found jb where switch broke the feed, or was supposed to and all looked ok except continuity across feed and switched feed regardless of what position key switch was in. Disconnected switch to buzz across it and check that it was actually switching which it was, put it back together then it seemed to work again. Buggered off to do another job then came back to check if it was still working, and it wasn’t.

been told nobody has touched or changed anything other than they had water coming through after heavy rain and gutter issue. Anyone got any ideas?
Yes tell client you need to check the installation out and give him a costing.

Maybe an issue in wiring up another light.

If they have had a light replaced that was an EM with a non EM and the EM Live has been commoned with the lighting PLs.

I'd have taken the lives out of the switch and checked each for voltage.

It may have tested ok at the time, especially as functional test confirmed it was working. But did you test it again when it later was not working? Intermittent fault perhaps?

It may have tested ok at the time, especially as functional test confirmed it was working. But did you test it again when it later was not working? Intermittent fault perhaps?
In all honesty no I didn’t as it was getting on and it’s Friday. I’ve never had an issue with a key switch being faulty and didn’t think it would be this as they are fairly simple mechanism, plus only used once a month and the install is less that 8 years old. But again I’m not sure where else the problem could be. Emergencies all operate fine when breaker is off

I have come across switches that do this and they were faulty. Not that much for a new switch. I have taken them apart on a few occasions and found the spring was out of its pivot and/or carbonised contacts that make the nipple slightly shorter and poorer contact as a result.

I have come across switches that do this and they were faulty. Not that much for a new switch. I have taken them apart on a few occasions and found the spring was out of its pivot and/or carbonised contacts that make the nipple slightly shorter and poorer contact as a result.
Interesting. I’ve ordered a replacement and if that doesn’t work il go back to scratching my head

Reply to Emergency lighting test issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net