Discuss Emergency Lighting Testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fletch

Hi

I've been asked to carry out emergency lighting testing in some domestic rented properties. This is a pretty new area of work for me, but I have read up the relevant BS guidance notes etc and believe I have a pretty good idea of the requirements but still have a few queries that I have researched but have not found the answers to. I have visited one of the properties today to have a quick look around to try to suss out what's involved, and have the following queries. It's basically a 4 storey building including basement and converted attic, and there are 4 emergency lights - 1 on each level in the landing / stairway areas:

1. There were 'emergency exit' signs installed - are they required?
2. There were no 'test key' switches installed - are these required?
3. Do you have to do a lux level test at night with just the EM lights on?

Cheers for any help and advice you can offer?

Regards, Fletch

On first surveying, would suggest a plan of the building is drawing, showing em positions, and lux levels with each fitting visably numbered for reference. keyswitches are prefered, but are not mandatory, only problem in domestic buildings is you are putting the the building/flats in darkness while you conduct the test. All exit and escape routes need to be signed throughout, to show the way out of the building. Ie if your on the 3rd floor you need to show the exits to staircase via fire doors and corridor turnings.

On first surveying, would suggest a plan of the building is drawing, showing em positions, and lux levels with each fitting visably numbered for reference. keyswitches are prefered, but are not mandatory, only problem in domestic buildings is you are putting the the building/flats in darkness while you conduct the test. All exit and escape routes need to be signed throughout, to show the way out of the building. Ie if your on the 3rd floor you need to show the exits to staircase via fire doors and corridor turnings.

Many thanks for your prompt response, this is appreciated.
All of the properties I have to inspect and test are multi occupancy student houses.
Re: the exit signs, meant to say in my original post that there are currently NO signs, so will need to install these - do these need to be the illuminated type, or will the 'glow in the dark' type suffice?
Re: the lux test, I was concerned about the inconvenience this would cause to the occupants, but is there any other way of doing it apart from when it is dark?
Also, does there need to be an EM light in the kitchen area? What about the bathroom as well?

Regards, Fletch

As you have taken on this maintenance, you have to keep your paper work and plans up for any veiwing requests...this is basically arse covering exercise just incase. The idea is any staircase or escape route is covered under the minimum lux level 10 lux so residends can find the way out, signage can be flourescent type as long as it correctly shows the way to exit, and can bee seen in low level light. The is no need for kitchen em lighting as long as it dos not form part of an escape route ie the back kitchen door. Bathroom have no requirement usless they are used by a disabled person, which comes under DDA ruling

Your welecome

Hi, I have another query if you don't mind.

The property in question has got the emergency lights wired from their own dedicated circuit in the consumer unit. Is this acceptable, or should they be wired from a lighting circuit? If they should be wired from a lighting circuit, how should this be done if there are seperate lighting circuits for each floor of the property?

Thanks, Fletch

Hello Chaps,
I am looking for two emergency lighting diagrams , non maintained and maintained please - Im carrying out PPMs in office block and just need to go over heir basic operation.
Thanks

Sparky 63

basically, non-maintained come on only when there's a power loss. maintained fittings are lit 24/7.

Hi, I have another query if you don't mind.

The property in question has got the emergency lights wired from their own dedicated circuit in the consumer unit. Is this acceptable, or should they be wired from a lighting circuit? If they should be wired from a lighting circuit, how should this be done if there are seperate lighting circuits for each floor of the property?

Thanks, Fletch

Should be on the lightning circuit of that lighting area...ie if lighting is lost via fault or fire on the ground floor, then em lights on the ground floor need to kick in....no good if their power from another circuit.

Reply to Emergency Lighting Testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net