Discuss Emergency Lights 30 cm away? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You already have a thread running on this topic. If you are installing emergency lighting you should know this. Why is an automatic detector affected by adjacent obstacles and does this apply to emergency lighting.

You already have a thread running on this topic. If you are installing emergency lighting you should know this. Why is an automatic detector affected by adjacent obstacles and does this apply to emergency lighting.
Thanks again Westward. It seems that the emergency light does not have to be 30 cm away from the light, right?

The lights are not made to BS5266 but the installation is designed to it. So you have designed the system and will commission it as per this Standard?

I'm assuming this is a commercial job if multiple units are being mentioned.
There's quite a lot more to the location of emergency lighting than how far it should be away from other things.
Off the top of my head things like
-what does the fire risk assessment say
-where do escape routes change direction and level
-how wide are corridors
-which stairwells are escape routes
-even how big are the toilets!

...all play a part in dictating where you need them, how many you need and how bright they need to be.
If people 'fail to escape' you can be held liable as the designer. If you can't prove competence or experience with BS 5266 then in the nicest way possible you might want to protect yourself and reconsider this job, or at a minimum tell the customer that you want to see the FRA and you'll need to consult whoever did it to approve your plans to ensure they (the customer) cannot be held liable for any errors of judgement.

The lights are not made to BS5266 but the installation is designed to it. So you have designed the system and will commission it as per this Standard?
Westward I have read more. It seems that I can just connect the live and neautral to the light circuit. By design I suppose you mean where to place them. it's a terraced 3 level house. I can place them near the light on the 3 levels and the extension so that they light up all the passages and reflects the light 20 metres away.

I'm assuming this is a commercial job if multiple units are being mentioned.
There's quite a lot more to the location of emergency lighting than how far it should be away from other things.
Off the top of my head things like
-what does the fire risk assessment say
-where do escape routes change direction and level
-how wide are corridors
-which stairwells are escape routes
-even how big are the toilets!

...all play a part in dictating where you need them, how many you need and how bright they need to be.
If people 'fail to escape' you can be held liable as the designer. If you can't prove competence or experience with BS 5266 then in the nicest way possible you might want to protect yourself and reconsider this job, or at a minimum tell the customer that you want to see the FRA and you'll need to consult whoever did it to approve your plans to ensure they (the customer) cannot be held liable for any errors of judgement.
Thanks Tim I have read more. It seems that I can just connect the live and neautral to the light circuit. By design I suppose you mean where to place them. it's a terraced 3 level house. I can place them near the light on the 3 levels and the extension so that they light up all the passages and reflects the light 20 metres away.

As I think @westward10 was alluding to, the placement of emergency lighting it prescibed by BS5266. Pretty much as @timhoward has listed plus a few more items such as luminance from photometric data usually supplied by the manufacturer. As you may know lights can contain emergency/anti panic lighting so distance is not an issue. As to just connect live and neutral, again it is not as simple as that. It requires two lives one being switched and a neutral so you will need to think about what you are doing a tad more. Is this for you? What kind of premises is it in? Why do you even need to fit them?

Westward I have read more. It seems that I can just connect the live and neautral to the light circuit. By design I suppose you mean where to place them. it's a terraced 3 level house. I can place them near the light on the 3 levels and the extension so that they light up all the passages and reflects the light 20 metres away.
Well you seem determined to do this no matter what we say. Connect live and neutral possibly more to it than that but your choice. There are many people out there who install these systems with no knowledge of BS5266 because it is just wires, I'm an electrician how difficult can it be.

@
As I think @westward10 was alluding to, the placement of emergency lighting it prescibed by BS5266. Pretty much as @timhoward has listed plus a few more items such as luminance from photometric data usually supplied by the manufacturer. As you may know lights can contain emergency/anti panic lighting so distance is not an issue. As to just connect live and neutral, again it is not as simple as that. It requires two lives one being switched and a neutral so you will need to think about what you are doing a tad more. Is this for you? What kind of premises is it in? Why do you even need to fit them?
Thanks @Vortigern It's a large HMO. The council have asked for these Iluminaires to be fitted to BS5266.1 standard

@

Thanks @Vortigern It's a large HMO. The council have asked for these Iluminaires to be fitted to BS5266.1 standard

And are you competent to do this? Do you have a good working knowledge of the standard and how to install to it?

DPG I can only do simple electrics

I really wouldn't keep trying to do this yourself then. You have had good advice but seem to be ignoring it. Not sure why.

There are probably plenty of electricians who don't touch emergency lighting installs in HMO installs, let alone DIY people.

If council want them fitted, the council will want the electrical certificate to prove they were fitted to BS7671 as well as the emergency lighting British Standards.

Doing it yourself will only get the council to tell you take them out and get them fitted properly.

this is a really good guide to emergency lighting.
have a read and decide if you are able to gather all the correct documents together and certify the design and installation,

Have you thought about appropriate signage? If you have a fire alarm installed are the emergency lights gonna provide enough light at the appropriate areas? A test facility to be able to carry out a discharge test in the future without having to isolate the whole lighting circuit? The areas the lights are to be fitted, are the existing lights on the same circuit or do you have multiple lighting circuits?

As many have said above it really isn’t as simple as taking a few cables to a emergency fitting unfortunately. Are you able to sign it off and then be happy to stand up in court and show how and why you fitted those emergency lights in that position if something went wrong?

Reply to Emergency Lights 30 cm away? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock