Discuss Emergency lights/standard lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Each emergency luminare should have a rating plate stating its mode of operation. The rating plate will have numbers and letters on it.
X = self contained, meaning all parts for its operation are contained within the fitting.
1 = maintained.
0 = non maintained.
180 = 3 hours duration.
A maintained fitting should always be illuminated at material times.
You need a copy of BS5266.

They are maintained at material times, when required, when the sensor switches them on. Maintained.

They are a combined fitting contains 2 separate lamps.
1 from the switched supply - non emergency
The other is a non maintained emergency lamp supplied from the batteries and only coming on when power fails

The lamp has 2 separate parts to it.

You can get combined maintained and non maintained fittings

Yes it is maintained. If the plate states it is Maintained then this is its mode of operation to be illuminated at material times. Granted some of the LED fittings do have a separate LED on the tray for emergency operation nevertheless they are Maintained.

Maintained. They are never non-maintained.

I'm sure someone is going to correct me here but.
My understanding is,

a maintained fitting would be something like an emergency exit light box that is lit 24/7 with a backup that allows it to continue to be lit when the power fails.

a non-maintained fitting would be something like an office light, like a grid fitting that is switched on or off during normal operation to light the room when required, but will always turn on when the power fails.

Is there a ph
I'm sure someone is going to correct me here but.
My understanding is,

a maintained fitting would be something like an emergency exit light box that is lit 24/7 with a backup that allows it to continue to be lit when the power fails.

a non-maintained fitting would be something like an office light, like a grid fitting that is switched on or off during normal operation to light the room when required, but will always turn on when the power fails.

Nope.

Your second example is a maintained light fitting with a light switch.

A maintained fitting does not need to be illuminated 24/7. It should be illuminated at material times.

thanks for the enlightenment guys, you have forced me to investigate my poor understanding of the terminology.

for anyone else that is unsure, I found this and it may help to enlighten others.

What is non-maintained emergency lighting?
Non-maintained emergency lighting is a luminaire made solely for emergency use. It is designed to come on in the event of a mains power failure, making sure all emergency exit routes are clearly illuminated, but will not be active as your normal day-to-day lighting system.

What is maintained emergency lighting?
Maintained emergency lighting luminaires are built to be active continuously in every day life, and through the event of a power cut. Just like a normal luminaire, when running ordinarily they will take power from the mains supply, but when they switch to emergency mode they take power from a back up battery.

Reply to Emergency lights/standard lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock