Discuss Emergency Power Off Testing (EPO/RPO) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

faraday cage

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can tell me the frequency of testing of EPO or RPO in an installation, say a computer server room.

We have 20 full height server cabinets and the EPO cuts power to the whole room.

I've looked in the 17th without success.

Thanks in advance.

FC

Well test quarterly by pushing the test button on the front of the rcd.

But tested every 5 years on a periodic test/inspection, but this can be done away with if agreed by customer & inspecting sparks on limitations of testing, if it is going to cause problems with servers when powered down.

Define EPO or RPO. Not sure what you mean.

Emergency Power Off we got Faraday but what's R.P.O. standing for?

Surprised you have RCD's protecting your servers when they are not necessary under 411.3.3
In AC systems, additional protection by RCD in accordance with reg 415.1 (meaning 30mA/40mS etc....Carter) shall be provided for:
(i) socket outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A that are for use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use,....
(ii) mobile eqpt......

An exception to (i) is permitted for:
(a) socket outlets for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons, e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations....

Am guessing that these servers are in a dedicated room with access restricted to 'skilled or instructed persons' of which I assume you are one, if so you can dispense with the RCDs. If you let the cleaners in there (not likely I think) then that's a different matter.

The supplementary note also refers you to Assessment of Gen Characteristics, in particular 314.1.(iv) = reducing the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs and also 531.2.4 along the same lines. I also suggest that Chapter 36, Continuity of Service applies in your situation.

Reply to Emergency Power Off Testing (EPO/RPO) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock