• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Emergency Stop Button for a 3 Phase 3HP Motor Help. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Margolis

New EF Member
Hi All,

Long story short, I am building a plastic shredder with a 3 phase 3 HP motor. I am using this switch to control forward and backwards: https://goo.gl/k8zSxA (amazon). I need a switch or button that can cut power to the device. It does not need to stop immediately. I am not using a Contactor or motor controller. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

MDJ

The Muppet Police
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Just stick a stop button in series with the supply, that said, why not a contactor? what about overload protection?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
need to be careful here. a different set of regs. and safety standards apply, outside the scope of BS7671. darkwood is your best advisor here.

Reactions: DPG

MDJ

The Muppet Police
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Good point, I never realised he was a Yank

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
DIY
There's a worrying statement 'What do you mean by overload protection '.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
think OP might be out of his depth here.

Reactions: DPG

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
You need a motor controller with forward, reverse and stop functions which also incorporates overload relays.

Yplan

Active EF Member
You Deffo need a contactor with overload protection rated at same as motor on the plate,

I would wire the control circuit in series through the stop button and through to enable that coil.

Yplan

Spoon

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
DIY
BS EN 60204
7.3.1 General
Protection of motors against overheating shall be provided for each motor rated at more than 0,5 kW.

You should have an equivalent reg.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Don't think it is quite the same in the States, it is required but the parameters are different.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
Don't think it is quite the same in the States, it is required but the parameters are different.
by parameters, do you mean bang test?

darkwood

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
Welcome to the Forum, is this a project at your Academy?

The Forum is based around UK regulations and even though you may be USA based I would believe there exists strict regulation and rules surrounding the designing and building of control systems for machinery.
Anyone who is competent and qualified to design and install such systems would not be asking the basic of basic questions on a Forum and as a Forum it is our duty to offer safe advice. It is therefore my only option to advise you to contract in a competent qualified person to design and build these controls for you, this is for your own safety and that of any user.

It is for the above reasons that I am closing this thread, this is not something to do as a DIY project without some indepth knowledge of the relevant standards and risks associated.

If this is indeed a project for your Academy them you should discuss this with your tutor and ask for their assistance, it is to be noted that (s)he too would need to be fully compliant and knowledged in the relevant regulations that surround this 'project'.

Please PM me if you have any queries to why your thread has been closed or to add any supporting information which may allow us to reopen the thread.
Re' Darkwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.