CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members

Discuss Emergency Stop circuit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,
I got 8 normally closed emergency stop buttons wired in series and 100 amp 4 pole contactor with 230v coils for the stop circuit. They require a key switch at the D/B to reset the circuit if a emergency stop has been hit and and after it has been twisted to reset the stop button, was just looking for ideas on type of key switch and how to integrate it in to the circuit.

B

Bobster

Walk away from this.

This is an outdated design and does not comply with any current statutory regulations surrounding emergency stops.

An judging from the level of this question, and not knowing your background. I would say you aren't through any fault of your own competed to undertake this work.

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You will need to do a risk assessment firstly to establish the level of safety system required.
Then you need to design the circuit based on this assessment, this may mean a dual channel e-stops and maybe even dual contactors in series with feedback from the contactors back into the safety circuit so if one of the contactors fails (welds closed) the circuit will not reset.
You will need a safety relay (Pilz or similar).
There is some good free software that you can use called Sistema that will help establish the performance level (Pl) for the system. Pl levels range from a to e with a being the lowest level.
The keyswitch will be wired into the reset circuit of the Pilz relay.
Hope this is of help, but be careful, safety circuits can be very onerous.

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Walk away from this.

This is an outdated design and does not comply with any current statutory regulations surrounding emergency stops.

An judging from the level of this question, and not knowing your background. I would say you aren't through any fault of your own competed to undertake this work.

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
@Pete999 I thought you might have hit rob with he spelling emoji
I'll only do that when it's blatant, not to Rob, mind you, you just made a spelling mistake by spelling Rob with a lower case letter.:D:p:rolleyes: Think I may have made a rod for my own back here still never mind eh.

B

Bobster

I just couldn't help it, honestly, can't wait for me to screw up,:eek::rolleyes:

Oh I know literacy has never come easy, maths however, took to that like a duck to water. It's a running joke in the office, it's a good job I've thick skin.

Reaction score
3 station push button enclosure with stop start and momentary (spring return) key switch at panel (so key needs to turned and the start button pressed at same time) Wire the emergency stops in series with the stop N/C and start N/O and key switch N/O at the panel, with the hold in from contactor wired over the start and key switch.

Last edited:

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
3 station push button enclosure with stop start and momentary (spring return) key switch at panel (so key needs to turned and the start button pressed at same time) Wire the emergency stops in series with the stop N/C and start N/O and key switch N/O at the panel, with the hold in from contactor wired over the start and key switch.

You really should know this Phil....

There is a bit more to it than that I'm afraid!

Reply to Emergency Stop circuit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net