Discuss Employed electrician debating self employment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all - First post
Been with the same Firm I served my apprenticeship with. (over 12 years ago now).
Been very good to me and put me through all courses (2391, 18th edition, Compex etc) and pay me very well.
But my dilemma is I'm picking up more and more private jobs and paying others to sign the works off on a domestic basis.
The company I work for could potentially loose our current contract in 2 years or would be significantly reduced and I would be TUPE to others when at that point I would want to chance it myself as terms and pay would halve.

I'm asking for advice on setting up self employed whilst employed. Is it ok? Can it work? What scheme is best?
As I would only look at domestic at the moment and not haz areas would the likes of stroma be best for the first year or two? (Being cheap?) If anyone else has been in the situation you advice would be great as I'm sat on the fence here.

Thanks in advance.

i'd start off first by doing the smaller, non-notifiable jobs before considering joining stroma or one of the other leeches. once you've started to establish yourself, then see which cps scam is best for you.

i'd start off first by doing the smaller, non-notifiable jobs before considering joining stroma or one of the other leeches. once you've started to establish yourself, then see which cps scam is best for you.

I've had a few years of doing that now for friends and friends of friends etc.
A friend of mine has bought a local pub and converting to 3 dwellings and offered all the works to me so I'm thinking it would be a good point to get registered and test and sign off some of the work I have done in my own house for the assessment with the schemes.
I don't know. I know what I good number I am on but I'm aware it's not going to last forever. Just don't know the first step and then the tax implications.

go for it a job like that could set you up. . as for tax. i recommend quick file, free up to a certain level and it does all the donkey work for you. all you need to do is enter invoices and purchases. if you outgrow that, then quick books is a step up.

How much of your own work do you have in the pipeline already?

Do you have all your own test kit, tools, van etc or are these costs you need to factor into the equation?

Just make sure you have plenty of cash on the hip when you first take the leap of faith...
Just to cover any mishaps or quiet weeks

One of the things that I struggled with the most was getting the pricing right... so I'd suggest you get a sensible routine for that set up too.

How much of your own work do you have in the pipeline already?

Do you have all your own test kit, tools, van etc or are these costs you need to factor into the equation?

I have a couple of rewires to do one after the other in the pub conversion job.
I have a pickup I will be using as my personal car too. All tools are my own except the Sds and tester but the firm won’t be leaving the area for 2 years so I’d be in no rush to get things as could still use theirs.
And I’m of the thought when it comes to them leaving the area/ loosing the contract any tools and testers I wanted I could come to a deal with them as they would have no need for them.

My main concern is the scheme to join and tax implications. Has anyone used stroma? I have read there technical support is crap but I’m not thinking I will be in need of that just doing domestic jobs.

Thanks

It would be good manners to speak to your employer about this, but check your contract first as you may already be prohibited from doing this.

Stroma have been bought by NAPIT so I'm not sure if you can even join them anymore.

Whilst it feels like you have plenty of work lined up at the moment for family and friends there will come a point where this work runs out and you have to compete with all the other domestic installers out there.

Reply to Employed electrician debating self employment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock