Discuss Employment. Taking a day off AFTER giving notice. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Does anyone know about employment rules, other than electrician/construction?

My wife works for local council as an early years practitioner…. old title, nursery teacher.
Now, due to various reasons, she has given 4 weeks notice to leave.
She has a new job starting, but they have asked if she can have a training day before she starts... which means she needs to take a day of her current work.

She has already asked her manager, but she has said she will have to check its ok with higher up. (she has asked for next Wednesday... so that's over a weeks notice)
Can they deny letting her have a day off, even unpaid?
She has at least 2 weeks holiday accrued anyway.

Is it discrimination, because she's already said she has leaving?

If she has accrued holiday before she leaves then she can either take it or must be paid for it.

I know as I'm going through the same at the minute, last two weeks have both been three days and my final week is four days. And it's bliss!!!

As said she has the holiday due but it will depend upon her contract of employment hopefully they will let her have it. What happened to your job being transferred to the new company it sounds like you decided to take the redundancy.

Holiday is your entilement but remember when you request time off with an employer it is at there discretion when it can be taken but the correct notice must be given by both parties.
If you book one day off then your employer has to give you atleast double the notice of the amount of days requested

Ok.
She got the day off she asked for, but her manager stated “because it’s for your new job, we HAVE to let you have it”

Doesn’t sound like she was too keen

sounds like they are concerned that if they were to deny the days holiday for anything other than exceptional reasons of hardship to the company they would leave them selves open to a claim from you if it hampered or prevented you taking up your new job.

Reply to Employment. Taking a day off AFTER giving notice. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock